Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by momofnerds View Post
    Their surprise visits were to sit and chat and annoy me and the children... they also didn't help when their was a problem.
    These I hated, too. I thought it was just a wast of time someone just seating there and chatting. If parents knew about it I don't think they would be that impress with the agency visits

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    Hmmm that's strange. The course I took was through York Professional Care. They license home daycares and also have daycare centres in York Region. They say on their website that they make all their providers do the following :
    Each York Professional Care & Education Provider has been thoroughly checked and has completed the following steps for approval:
    Agency screening – interview for suitability, personal reference checks for competence, home visits for safety, fire inspection and verified police clearance
    Minimum 25 hour Provider Orientation Training Course
    Child related First Aid and CPR Course
    Proof of good health for herself and all members of the household and assurance that they are free of communicable diseases and have proof of a TB test
    Compliance with all health and safety standards in her home as set forth by the Fire Department, Public Health Department and Provincial legislation

I knew a sweet girl who was trying to get licensed through them and all the fencing measurements, inspections etc were taking so long that she finally decided to go unlicensed.
    I checked their webpage and it seems they are a licensed agency and they also own daycare centers. They have 2 sections in their webpage one for parents interested in their daycare centers and another for parents interested in their "licensed" home daycare.

http://yorkprofessionalcareandeducat...alPrograms.php

http://yorkprofessionalcareandeducat...eChildCare.php

Outgoing
    It looks like the legislature did not get a chance to do the second reading yesterday. It's expected to go for the 2nd reading on Monday.

Shy
    I have a random question/comment:

Does anyone know if there is any information on the # of children who have been seriously injured or died while in unlicensed care verses the # in licensed care... there has to be some percentages that would be "mind blowing"

For example, say there are 100 000 children in daycare in Canada, licensed and unlicensed combined.

Of those 100 000, 80 000 are in unlicensed care and 20 000 are in licensed.

of those 80 000 in unlicensed care say 10 were seriously injured or died while in care, this equals 0.0125%

Of those 20 000 in licensed case say 2 were seriously injured or died while in care, this equals 0.01%

Thats pretty equal in %...

Anyone have these # so it can be compared?

Outgoing
    There is also a difference between unlicensed and illegal. I am NOT in the same category as the place in Vaughan where they had 27 children. I am unlicensed but adhere to the law.
    Last edited by treeholm; 12-06-2013 at 09:18 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That's the issue I'm having with this whole thing. It's truly unfair that we're all lumped into the same category. I feel that we've all been vilified by the media. The government, I believe, has stood by and let it happen without any word whatsoever in this regard because it takes the heat off them for a job very poorly done on their part. Regardless of the rules in place (some of which I agree with, some I don't), this is just another instance in which we are shown as providers, once again, that there is no one in our corner. After 20 years in this business, both licensed and unlicensed, not much has changed. We still don't have any protection. We still don't have public or government support. We still are not valued in any capacity of the business. The fact that a garbage man has more earning potential than those who raise this country's children is a very sad commentary of where we stand in the pecking order.
    Last edited by cfred; 12-06-2013 at 12:33 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Remember to sign the online petition, comment on it, get everyone you know to do as well. There are MPPs in the province now following it. Make sure to contact those MPPs as well and tell them how the new legislation will impact you. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/934/6...rnization-act/

Euphoric !
    I looked at the petition, but it requires us to enter our full address and name. I wasn't comfortable with entering that information online. Also, if it's the same one I looked at, there were some spelling/gramatical mistakes in it that I thought made it seem a bit unprofessional (no offence at all toward whoever wrote it).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I looked at the petition, but it requires us to enter our full address and name. I wasn't comfortable with entering that information online. Also, if it's the same one I looked at, there were some spelling/gramatical mistakes in it that I thought made it seem a bit unprofessional (no offence at all toward whoever wrote it).
    Completely agree with your concerns, but it seems it is all we have right now. So many people I know have already signed and/or commented on it. This is my livelihood, so I have no issue posting my name on a petition. Keep in mind there is the option to hide your name on the site as well.

Outgoing
    this is the thread concerning the proposed legislative changes