Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by treeholm View Post
    On another note, I did post something on my facebook page. I am a bit surprised at the responses I am getting from young Moms. They are saying that it will not be a problem because there are lots of daycare spaces available, and of course, unlicensed daycares should not be allowed... they would NEVER put their child in an unlicensed daycare! I bet they have no idea that I'm not licensed LOL. These are people who would certainly trust me with their children... they just hear "unlicensed" and see the 27 kids in the daycare in Toronto. They cannot understand why I would "stick up" for unlicensed daycares!!! Hmmm... because I AM ONE??? Wow... if parents are already convinced this is a wonderful thing, then I guess I will just stop trying to warn parents they better make sure their spot for their one year old is safe...
    You really oughta clue them in and tell them you are unlicensed and that 80% of kids are in unlicensed home daycares. That should do it. People really have no clue, it's so hard to get them on our side when they don't understand what's going on.

Outgoing
    Nope, they see me as an old alarmist grandma LOL. I am not going to convince two young women who know they are right and I am clueless... I'm satisfied that I sounded the alarm... if they don't heed the warnings, I won't feel badly that I didn't try.

Expansive...
    I was just trying to read through the actual bill proposal and it looks like they are proposing that anyone who stays unlicensed would have to disclose that they are unlicensed and have the parents sign off that they are aware that their provider is unlicensed.

It seems kind of like branding unlicensed caregivers with a scarlet letter.

12. (1) Any person who does not hold a licence shall, before providing child care in a circumstance described in paragraph 2 or 4 of subsection 6 (3), or, if relevant, in subsection 6 (4), disclose to the parent of the child, in a manner that may be prescribed, that the person does not hold a licence.

Duty to retain record of disclosure

(2) A person who makes a disclosure in accordance with subsection (1) shall retain a record of the disclosure in a prescribed manner for at least the prescribed time period, or if no time period is prescribed, for at least two years from the date the disclosure is made.

Outgoing
    But even people who are registered with an agency are unlicensed, it is the agency who is licensed, right? So all home daycares would have to sign this, wouldn't they?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by treeholm View Post
    But even people who are registered with an agency are unlicensed, it is the agency who is licensed, right? So all home daycares would have to sign this, wouldn't they?
    My understanding is that the provider themselves is licensed.
    I took a daycare course through York Region and they were heavily urging all the providers to get licensed. They said you would have to submit floor plans, fire plans, measurements of your property line and fence, have fire inspector come, etc and then pass the licensing requirements. That is how you would get licensed and then you could go with an agency. I know licensed providers who still take on their own clients though

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I was just trying to read through the actual bill proposal and it looks like they are proposing that anyone who stays unlicensed would have to disclose that they are unlicensed and have the parents sign off that they are aware that their provider is unlicensed.

It seems kind of like branding unlicensed caregivers with a scarlet letter.

12. (1) Any person who does not hold a licence shall, before providing child care in a circumstance described in paragraph 2 or 4 of subsection 6 (3), or, if relevant, in subsection 6 (4), disclose to the parent of the child, in a manner that may be prescribed, that the person does not hold a licence.

That could be to address what some providers are doing when they call themselves licensed, when they are working for an agency. I have seem several ads of home daycare that claim to be licensed.

I don't have any problem explaining potential clients that I am not licensed (or work for an agency) and the benefits they are getting for me being unlicensed. It has not been an issue so far for the ones who ask for an explanation about the differences and this is a though area for providers since most parents are looking for licensed daycare centers and live-in nannies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    My understanding is that the provider themselves is licensed.
    I took a daycare course through York Region and they were heavily urging all the providers to get licensed. They said you would have to submit floor plans, fire plans, measurements of your property line and fence, have fire inspector come, etc and then pass the licensing requirements. That is how you would get licensed and then you could go with an agency. I know licensed providers who still take on their own clients though
    I worked for an agency and never have to do any of that. I've never had to apply for a license myself since they do not exist for individual providers. I just had to sign an agreement with the agency and they were the ones with a license. You don't even need to have any childhood related education because theoretically they have ECE's supporting and guiding you (of course, it sounds fancy but not quite the reality)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We will actually be able to use the ratio to our advantage because there will always be one less child in an unlicensed home meaning our time is not spread out as much.

We all know that will make absolutely no difference but to a mom of a baby it could be a bargaining chip for us to use.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    That could be to address what some providers are doing when they call themselves licensed, when they are working for an agency. I have seem several ads of home daycare that claim to be licensed.

I don't have any problem explaining potential clients that I am not licensed (or work for an agency) and the benefits they are getting for me being unlicensed. It has not been an issue so far for the ones who ask for an explanation about the differences and this is a though area for providers since most parents are looking for licensed daycare centers and live-in nannies.
    What do you tell them are the advantages for having an unlicensed provider?
    I have had that question posed to me from a parent once and I blanked out. All I could say was something about how licensing isn't a 247 safety net because inspections only come sporadically.

I know dozens of reasons how unlicensed care benefits me and my business and gives me a lot of freedom in terms of who I take on and what I charge....but what are the benefits to a parent?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

FSD

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    We will actually be able to use the ratio to our advantage because there will always be one less child in an unlicensed home meaning our time is not spread out as much.

We all know that will make absolutely no difference but to a mom of a baby it could be a bargaining chip for us to use.
    I didn't get what you are saying. Could you explain more? Thanks