Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Expansive...
    I've changed my status on FB addressing all of this and already had one mom say her daycare will shut down if it passes. Those of you with a Facebook account make good use of it to spread the word!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by treeholm View Post
    I'm a communications professor. PM it to me.
    I JUST DID ! Thank you Treeholm !

Euphoric !
    I have already Fun & Care. Even my Mum is spreading the word. She's been reading up and I'm filling in the blanks. Bless her Awesome New Guy has listened to 2 solid days of my ranting. Tonight, no rants. Just a big glass of wine and some emails to politicians.

I think most parents won't do much on our behalf until it affects them. Human nature.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I have written a letter to each of the people in this list (provided by the CCPRN). I have also told my dc parents what is happening and asked them to write letters as well detailing how this will affect them personally.

Please send your stories to:

lsandals.mpp@liberal .ola.org Hon Liz Sandals (Minister of Education)

bbalkissoon.mpp@libe ral.ola.org Bas Balkissoon (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Education)

Jim.Grieve@ontario.c a Jim Grieve (Assistant Deputy Minister, Early Learning Division, Ministry of Education)

rob.leone@pc.ola.org Rob Leone (Conservative Opposition/Education Critic)

tabunsp-qp@ndp.on.ca Peter Tabuns (NDP Opposition/Education Critic)
    Done. I also sent the same email to all of the NDP MPPs.

Outgoing
    New facebook group:
    Ontario Families & Home Childcare Providers Against Bill 143

https://www.facebook.com/groups/288234071301579/

Euphoric !
    Sent this to the Globe

To Whom it May Concern,

I am an unlicensed provider and run a successful home daycare in Toronto's west end. I have a Master's degree in Social Work with a specialization in children's mental health and child development. I opened a home daycare to be able to afford the luxury and privilege of staying home with my two young girls. This was a choice I made because I want to be with my girls but also a necessity because the cost of sending two children to daycare would leave nothing from my pay once daycare fees were paid.

Why isn’t the media covering the fact that if this new Bill gets introduced there will be very few infant daycare spaces available? We already have a shortage but some balance was created by unlicensed providers who could take more than 2 infants under the current rules. With new ratio rules for providers we can only care for 2 children under 2 yrs old which includes our own children. The majority of us will either shut down (we can’t make a living with only 2-3 children in our care) or increase our rates to account for the loss in income. Parents are being blinded to the whole story and are only being told how this Bill will “keep kids safe.” No one seems to be aware that their child’s spot at daycare may cease to exist once this is passed (I will have to terminate services for 2-3 kids depending on how the Bill is structured).

I am unlicensed by choice and I encourage my families to visit licensed providers supervised by Wee Watch etc before signing with me. Just because someone is with an agency, this does not mean their services/program is better. Families sign with me because they see what else is out there. I looked into licensed home daycare options when I went back to work after my first mat leave and my options were bleak at best. One provider had a climbing structure in some man’s apartment above hers where she brought the kids to play. When I called the agency they were not aware of this. Well what else don’t they know about? Another provider spoke little English and had no programming aside from a basket of toys on the floor. The last licensed daycare I visited had “Dora” on the TV and one child just screaming in an exersaucer. The provider didn’t pick him up or even acknowledge him. I was so uncomfortable I took my daughter and left. Licensing does not mean better!

With the proposed changes, it will make things very difficult to continue to stay home with my girls and keep my business viable. This Bill is intended to ensure there are no additional tragedies like we have seen. These "babysitters" that warehouse children should not be put in the same category as me or many other providers. I run a TV free, highly structured program with tons of experiential learning and outdoor time. My clients often choose me because of the large amount of time we spend outdoors (4+ hours in the summer, 2-3 in the winter. I am open to becoming licensed as I think accountability and inspections are important. I do not however want to become licensed through an agency. I do not need their support in finding clients, or to borrow their resources. I have independent insurance; I am CPR certified and have a current clean police check. I have tons of experience and education. I am not however interested in giving them a chunk of my daily fees. I would be open to a yearly licensing fee similar to what one pays a professional college (e.g. College of Social Workers) to cover inspections etc.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Sent this to the Globe

To Whom it May Concern,

I am an unlicensed provider and run a successful home daycare in Toronto's west end. I have a Master's degree in Social Work with a specialization in children's mental health and child development. I opened a home daycare to be able to afford the luxury and privilege of staying home with my two young girls. This was a choice I made because I want to be with my girls but also a necessity because the cost of sending two children to daycare would leave nothing from my pay once daycare fees were paid.

Why isn’t the media covering the fact that if this new Bill gets introduced there will be very few infant daycare spaces available? We already have a shortage but some balance was created by unlicensed providers who could take more than 2 infants under the current rules. With new ratio rules for providers we can only care for 2 children under 2 yrs old which includes our own children. The majority of us will either shut down (we can’t make a living with only 2-3 children in our care) or increase our rates to account for the loss in income. Parents are being blinded to the whole story and are only being told how this Bill will “keep kids safe.” No one seems to be aware that their child’s spot at daycare may cease to exist once this is passed (I will have to terminate services for 2-3 kids depending on how the Bill is structured).

I am unlicensed by choice and I encourage my families to visit licensed providers supervised by Wee Watch etc before signing with me. Just because someone is with an agency, this does not mean their services/program is better. Families sign with me because they see what else is out there. I looked into licensed home daycare options when I went back to work after my first mat leave and my options were bleak at best. One provider had a climbing structure in some man’s apartment above hers where she brought the kids to play. When I called the agency they were not aware of this. Well what else don’t they know about? Another provider spoke little English and had no programming aside from a basket of toys on the floor. The last licensed daycare I visited had “Dora” on the TV and one child just screaming in an exersaucer. The provider didn’t pick him up or even acknowledge him. I was so uncomfortable I took my daughter and left. Licensing does not mean better!

With the proposed changes, it will make things very difficult to continue to stay home with my girls and keep my business viable. This Bill is intended to ensure there are no additional tragedies like we have seen. These "babysitters" that warehouse children should not be put in the same category as me or many other providers. I run a TV free, highly structured program with tons of experiential learning and outdoor time. My clients often choose me because of the large amount of time we spend outdoors (4+ hours in the summer, 2-3 in the winter. I am open to becoming licensed as I think accountability and inspections are important. I do not however want to become licensed through an agency. I do not need their support in finding clients, or to borrow their resources. I have independent insurance; I am CPR certified and have a current clean police check. I have tons of experience and education. I am not however interested in giving them a chunk of my daily fees. I would be open to a yearly licensing fee similar to what one pays a professional college (e.g. College of Social Workers) to cover inspections etc.
    Love love!! You should send it everywhere

9. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was also thinking about alerting parents on my waitlist so they know there may not be care for their infant in a yr

Outgoing
    you know why they want to keep this hush hush, so that people don't rally against the bill. the more people that find out the more uproar there is going to be.

Hello Everyone!

I have read quite a few posts on here on this subject. Frankly, like the rest of you, this has me worried for my family and many other families! It's like a big snow ball affect, if what I'm reading is accurate? We the daycare providers will have to raise our rates considerably, in order to have only three children in our care (with the three under three ratio) and the 4 and 5 year olds in KG. Then the families in turn, will no longer be able to afford daycare?!
    I read a few months back that there is very limited daycare spots in Canada as is, now they are going to implement regulations that will only allow private unlicensed daycares really only three children?! Then if again I am correct, those stay at home Mums that have children at home, have to count their own children? I'm sorry, but it's not going to work for many reasons. As most of you already know and realize, most us then will have to shut down due to not making a reasonable living, and a lot of parents will be without daycare and therefore loose their jobs?!
    Why change something when it has always worked? Yes, we have few people who should never work with children and therefore should be shut down.....but like with anything else in life, you have your few bad ones...so having said that, the ministry should be able to and do come and make surprise visits, I know I had one. Therefore they should just hire more inspectors and make sure ALL day cares run well. THAT is the only answer, as I see it.
    The onus was on the ministry to close that horrible unfit day care down, and they did not, when apparently they were called a few times?! Now our livelihoods have to suffer for their lack of due diligence?! It seems to me that the government is not seriously considering all the facts?! I believe we the day care providers and all the daycare parents should get actively involved in this too, to make them aware of ALL the ramifications, and if we do, and they consider everything and we ALL work together, everyone will win, especially the children who we care for! Let's stop worrying and find out what we can do, and get our day care parents involved too!
    One thing I would like to mention, I saw this coming a while ago and I have spoke about how the government will try to have their hands in our pies so to speak, meaning they will likely try to make money off of us, the lil guys, let's not let that happen! Let's get involved and make a plan to get involved! The first thing any of us should be concerned about is the safety of our children that we care for, and as I have mentioned, the only solution as I see that will work is to hire more inspectors! Secondly, not to make day care more difficult for parents and for us, the well meaning day care providers who are also trying to make a living! If anyone has any ideas how we can get actively get involved, please let us know.