Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
    Outgoing
    Crafty great idea, I think we should all do something more drastic then write letters. I'm thinking why all dc providers take a day off and march to city halls, or parliament hill. Perhaps with all the parents having no dc for the day and have to miss work the economy will take a little hit. Maybe all the dc families may join with the children. Just a thought

Outgoing
    I would be willing to do it !

Outgoing
    The other issue is that in light of the increase in safety enforcement and the massive fines that go with a violation, we really need a specific safety criteria in writing. Otherwise how do we know if we are in violation of a safety issue?

Outgoing
    Exactly gravy train, it's hard for most people to read actual acts.....they can be very confusing. How does the gov plan on informing all of us? Knowing how greedy the gov is they may hand out fines right away to make money and also make a point of shutting down "illegal" dc just to prove that their bill was the right thing to do in order to protect children.

Outgoing
    I wonder how many providers will have to go with an agency. Currently I would have to lose all but TWO of my daycare kids. I am expecting my 3rd baby in February and all of my own kids will be aged 3 and under so all within the limit of 5.
    There is no way I can do this with only 2 daycare kids. Maybe with 3 if I go with wee watch, but I am curious if I will even make much money after they take their cut.
    My families and my husband all implied the "who's gonna know your not following the rules" suggestion. What do I tell them? "Will you help pay the fine if/when I DO get inspected??" lol

Outgoing
    Yes, Teagansmom and I'm sure the enforcers will also have the media on speed dial. Personally, I have a swimming pool and a neighbour with a chip on his shoulders so am especially nervous about the vagueness of the safety code.

Outgoing
    Would love some more links to articles in the media today I anyone has them.

You know there will be a huge ripple and backlash when this goes through. Parents are going to be livid with increased rates, trying to find daycare for 2 or more of their children (if they are all under 2 years for eg.) So what's a parent to do? Send 2 or 3 children to different providers in order to follow the 2 under 2, etc?

Outgoing
    What I just do not understand, is that every news report I have watched or article I have read, is praising the government for taking decisive action to increase safety. NO ONE has mentioned that there will be a huge shortage of spots for one year olds. My daughter emailed me to say that the media is reporting that there will be MORE spots for children. I told her yes, they are increasing spots in licensed daycares from 5 to 6, so there will be more spots, AS LONG AS your child is two or over... NO one is talking in the media about the fact that it is already tough for one year olds to find spots, so where are they supposed to go? I have a friend just starting her daycare now, as her own mat leave just ended. She is full, with five one year olds, plus her own almost one year old, and a two year old. She took deposits for some of those spots for children to begin in January. If this law passes, she will have to fire FOUR of her families and return those deposits... families who paid her months ago to secure their spot and relax.. they will suddenly be terminated with no notice... I've been shaking my head for two days... no wonder I have a headache.
    Yes, I'm glad the three under three thing is not mentioned anywhere. That means that I can probably continue for now. I have a little boy turning two in April, and he comes four days a week. If I juggle him with my grandson, who is three months old, and only comes a couple of times a week when my kids are running errands, I can make this work. But if I had my own little children and had to count them in my numbers now, I'd be toast. I feel so badly for so many care providers, and for so many families. And I just can't believe the media hasn't clued in to this potential crisis!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Teagansmom View Post
    Crafty great idea, I think we should all do something more drastic then write letters. I'm thinking why all dc providers take a day off and march to city halls, or parliament hill. Perhaps with all the parents having no dc for the day and have to miss work the economy will take a little hit. Maybe all the dc families may join with the children. Just a thought
    Would have to be a whole week off by the time we travelled to Toronto and did the rally and stormed the legislature etc with our demands. Not to mention the week off our spouses would need to do childcare for us while we were gone.