Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing
    Good question, Mama of 1. I would imagine that if you can't have a pool, you can't have a hot tub either, but I'm just being logical... no one ever accuses the government of being logical...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have a pool. Unlicensed of course. I have a 8 foot chain link fence around it and its under lock and key with a spring loaded door. At the top of the stairs is another set of doors with an alarm. If any of the children were to ever climb the fence they would be termed on the spot. Its also not attatched to my house. but my group is young, common sense is that I can't let them go out by themselves anyways. I also had my pool inspected by my town as I had to get a permit too.

the drowning incidents happen at the one house when the provider had all those other providers over and no one was watching the kids and if I remember correctly she didn't have a fence around her pool only a fence around her yard which you are allowed to do (I just go overboard in safety and I have my own older kids) and some of the other drownings that happen is when the pool is attatched to the house, so someone opens the sliding door and theres the pool. This is why my pool is in the middle of the yard.

Where did you get your insurance from? My home insurer (TD) won't cover a daycare if I have a pool.

I'm in Ontario and we cant have a pool, hot tub or trampoline. No insurance company will insure us if we have those things.

Expansive...
    I am in BC and Lic Officer of daycares won't let you have a pool, hot tub or trampoline unless they are closed off by a safety fence and not used by the daycare kids

In Ontario it would be down to the insurance companies policy as there is no licensing to regulate home daycare providers. If signed up with an agency then they would likely have a list of requirements just as any region who had inspected you would also. No such thing as licensing though.

If you are planning to keep a swimming pool please make sure that you have enough safety equipments. The most important point to remember is always check the depth of the pool before you let the kids enter.Check for dips in the floor and slippery areas where children might fall. Here is an article that describes some safety tips for kids around the swimming pool(http://www.soldapools.com/safety/swi...ety-tips-kids/).I hope you find it useful.

Expansive...
    I would not use the pool with the daycare children for safety reasons as only one adult and 5 kids is too much stress , better to use for the family to enjoy only if you are lucky to have a pool- with a strong fence around it

[QUOTE=Van;83737]I would not use the pool with the daycare children for safety reasons as only one adult and 5 kids is too much stress , better to use for the family to enjoy only if you are lucky to have a pool

I agree! Having a pool onsite is liability enough without actually taking the kids in the pool too!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by ericajanson View Post
    Where did you get your insurance from? My home insurer (TD) won't cover a daycare if I have a pool.
    I'm in NS, but wanted to chime in about insurance. TD told me they can't insure any home daycare if a pool is on the property, no matter how secure-just a blanket rule. I went to an insurance broker, and I found 2 companies (Portage and Wawanesa) that allow pools and home daycares.

I have an 'approved' dayhome, monitored by a licenced agency. They just require no access to the pool during daycare hours. I have a 6' fence around the pool, no access from the yard. The door from the house has 2 locks plus a safety chain at the very top. Then the deck off that door also has a gate to get to the pool deck, with 2 latches (one pulls across, the other is a safety latch). For the kids to come swimming, they come with a parent, after hours, and we keep a 1:1 ratio of adults to kids on the pool deck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post: