Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    I'm in NS, but wanted to chime in about insurance. TD told me they can't insure any home daycare if a pool is on the property, no matter how secure-just a blanket rule. I went to an insurance broker, and I found 2 companies (Portage and Wawanesa) that allow pools and home daycares.

I have an 'approved' dayhome, monitored by a licenced agency. They just require no access to the pool during daycare hours. I have a 6' fence around the pool, no access from the yard. The door from the house has 2 locks plus a safety chain at the very top. Then the deck off that door also has a gate to get to the pool deck, with 2 latches (one pulls across, the other is a safety latch). For the kids to come swimming, they come with a parent, after hours, and we keep a 1:1 ratio of adults to kids on the pool deck.
    Do all insurance companies in NS allow the same amount of daycare kids? I know here in ON less than a handful of ins companies will cover you for the maximum 5 children the province allows. As a result if a provider with a pool wants maximum enrolment potential, then it would have to be one of these companies only who would allow the pool. I'm going to phone around on Monday and find out, although I'm a bit apprehensive about taking an agents word without seeing it in black and white, as many times they have not always read the policies on home daycare rules thoroughly and incorrect information is given.

Outgoing
    Sorry, this is unrelated to this question....but I CAN'T remember how to start a new post...help

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Do all insurance companies in NS allow the same amount of daycare kids? I know here in ON less than a handful of ins companies will cover you for the maximum 5 children the province allows. As a result if a provider with a pool wants maximum enrolment potential, then it would have to be one of these companies only who would allow the pool. I'm going to phone around on Monday and find out, although I'm a bit apprehensive about taking an agents word without seeing it in black and white, as many times they have not always read the policies on home daycare rules thoroughly and incorrect information is given.
    Odd but most insurance company have same rule for all Maritime Provinces. TD one of few who allow 6. Co-operators will too but their normal rule is 4 but can get business insurance which then cover 6. Allstate allow 5. Wawanesa only 4 - they used to let 6 be grandfathered in, I had cover for 6 in PEI but just this month, for first time, they want questionaire about pool, trampoline, then ask about what on floor under play equipment, stair gate, and then only allow 4 be covered which been their rule for new customer for about 5 year. I end up switch to Cooperator. But most insurance not allow trampoline or pool at all.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Sorry, this is unrelated to this question....but I CAN'T remember how to start a new post...help
    Go to the Forums main page and choose your topic. Like "Managing a daycare" and at the top of the topic page, there is a button for "Post new thread"

Outgoing
    Thanks a bunch kindertime

Starting to feel at home...
    All companies I contacted would allow our province's maximum (6 including your own, no more than 2 under 18mo). I have 2 kids though, so only 4 dcks.

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    All companies I contacted would allow our province's maximum (6 including your own, no more than 2 under 18mo). I have 2 kids though, so only 4 dcks.
    That must make things so much easier having universal policies. In addition it is in my experience, and I've heard from other providers too that agents don't always know what they are talking about when it comes to the specifics of the daycare insurance. I requested a copy of the underwritten policy to be 100% certain. When I was first setting up my daycare and was calling around for quotes I went into my home insurance State Farm brokers office to set up a policy after being told 5 kids plus own over the phone. When I was there, there were two people who absolutely swore to me that it was 4 including own. I had to insist that they show it me in writing and they got their policy book out for me and it did in fact turn out to be 5 plus own. Hence my apprehension taking an agents word for it on its own. Sometimes one is so convinced that something is a certain way because it makes the most sense, but it doesn't always mean it is so. For example in another thread someone asked if we have to have insurance in Ontario, and a member said that yes we must. Well it is not mandatory to have it, although it makes sense to think we should have it, because it is the responsible thing to do.

Outgoing
    For example in another thread someone asked if we have to have insurance in Ontario, and a member said that yes we must. Well it is not mandatory to have it, although it makes sense to think we should have it, because it is the responsible thing to do.
    This is just an opinion question, cuz I don't know, but wouldn't it void your homeowner's insurance if they found out you had a business in the home and didn't have it insured? With mine, I have on my homeowner policy that I have a home business, and every year, they need the certificate from the liability policy (different company) so they know I'm covered for the business too. It's a very tricky thing, insurance, I believe, that given an oportunity, an insurance company will not pay out on a claim if they find anything wrong, even if it isn't directly related to the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    This is just an opinion question, cuz I don't know, but wouldn't it void your homeowner's insurance if they found out you had a business in the home and didn't have it insured? With mine, I have on my homeowner policy that I have a home business, and every year, they need the certificate from the liability policy (different company) so they know I'm covered for the business too. It's a very tricky thing, insurance, I believe, that given an oportunity, an insurance company will not pay out on a claim if they find anything wrong, even if it isn't directly related to the claim.
    I hear what you are saying. I mean that given the fact that home daycare in ON isn't regulated, whether one has insurance or not does not effect the individuals legal ability to operate. Versus say a mortgage, you can not get a mortgage without proof of insurance. I know what you mean about insurance being tricky. My home insurance is with the same company as my daycare insurance, but the daycare Ryder in ON is not considered business or commercial insurance. They know I run a home daycare, but I am not legally obliged to have daycare insurance. The Ryder is barely adequate as it is and I have additional liability in the instance that an incident occurs where all parents sue...1 or 2mil isn't gonna go very far. Sometimes a way with words would lead some to think there are loop holes, like lying by omission for example, but it always catches up in the event of a claim. Insurance companies employ individuals specifically to find reasons to deny claims. Another reason why I wish ON was regulated.