Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question

Starting to feel at home...

Question

I look after a boy who is 6. Has a younger sister. For the last year or so, he has become increasingly obsessed with marrying his sister. I know at this age he isn't fully aware of what that even means. However, he gets in these moods where he repeatedly tells her once they grow up they must get married. She says no. He becomes livid and demands she agrees to marry him. She keeps saying no and then he comes to me and demands that I MAKE her day yes. I try explaining that everyone here is too young to worry about marrying until they are much older. A tantrum generally ensues and eventually he calms down. This happens frequently and sometimes he will talk about marrying her literally all day long. Mom thinks its cute and encourages it but dad isn't so thrilled about it. Any advice on how to calm the child down and redirect him? Is this normal behavior? Thanks!

Outgoing
    I don't think that at his age its a huge deal.
    It sounds like you are dealing with things the right way. "Oh dcb you are too young to get married" make a joke about it.
    Don't think that mom should be encouraging it though. Thinking its cute or smiling about it is one thing.
    My own son who is now 13 just recently stopped saying how he wanted to marry me.

Outgoing
    I wouldn't worry too much about what he's freaking out about, and worry more about the fact that he's FREAKING OUT about it. In my opinion one child shouldn't be so concerned that another child isn't playing their little game that they tantrum about it. He needs practice regulating his emotions!

My son likes to give hugs... A lot. I've got him asking the kids if they want one first, rather than barging in and attacking them (with love), and sometimes he asks me why the other kids are saying no. Sometimes he's upset, and I basically tell him to suck it up, but in nicer words. "If they say no, they don't want it. You can try again later." And if it gets to it, I tell him that no means no and if he's going yo be upset he needs to take a break to cool down. It's never gone past that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post: