Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raising Rates in the event the new daycare bill passes

I have been on the low side regarding my rates. I have done some research in the last 2 months and was planning to raise my rates in January, even before I knew what was coming down the pipe with the liberals. When my new contract comes out in January I'm going to have some upset parents with my fee increase (I was going to increase a few dollars but now it will have to be minimum $8-10 to make up for some of the lost income with reducing my numbers from 5 to 4 (Possibly 3). Now that I will have to reduce my numbers, rates will definitely have to go up. Either that, or I close my doors. I will not cut craft materials and healthy foods, etc. So I'd rather close and go back into the corporate world than run the daycare nickle and diming everything.

Just curious as to what others charge in my area. I am in the Don Mills/York Mills area of Toronto. What other providers around Toronto/GTA charging?

I'm going to give my clients 30 days to find another affordable provider whilst I advertise for a new client if they cannot afford my new fees. BTW...even if I raised them $8-$10..I'd still be very competititive with pricing in my direct area.

Euphoric !
    I'm fine for at least a year with the client base I have and , thank goodness, don't have to cut anyone. That being said, in a year or 2, I will have to raise my rates for all new, incoming clients. In my area (Newmarket), the going rate has just moved up to between $41 and $45. I'm $45 and will likely bump up to $55. That will cover the extra space left over when I can't take on my 3rd little one and compensate during the inevitable lean times.

Euphoric !
    Type in your postal code to see your area as I find it varies even from street to street. I charge $60 per day fulltime, $65 to part timers

Starting to feel at home...
    I will be putting my under 2 spaces up by $10

Outgoing
    omg, no one in my area charges more than 35 dollars a day. I charge 30 dollars but will be raising them not because of the bill but because I haven't raised them in 10 yrs.

see this is another thing the goverment needs to look at, look at the difference in what we charge.

Euphoric !
    I'm good for the moment too but was going to have changes next summer due to mat leaves and one leaving for school and debating about a raise (I only raise my rates when new kids start). But the amount I raise it by will probably be a lot more than the usual $2-3. My under 2 spaces for sure will be charged more.

I am worried about all the two bit providers in my area. There are really only 3 or 4 of us legal and/or running this as a fully fledged business and then there are at least another dozen who are stay at home mums. The average rate is $40-$43 full time and $45 part time. The SAHM's are charging a good $10 less typically 30-35 a day. If I raise my rates I worry that I will not have clients as people will scramble for the cheaper spots out of necessity. I do hope that the inspections are frequent enough and there are rules we have to follow that will force these cheapo providers to catch up to the pros and that will make them realize that to have a good program, and meal plan that those rates don't cover it and then they will put their rates up. I'm not concerned about any new safety rules etc that come with the bill as I trained to do this specific job in the UK where it is heavily regulated and requires qualifications so when I first started my daycare unbeknownst to me that their were literally no rules here, I set it up based on UK standards so I run a very tight ship.

Well, if anything at least some parents might stop nickeling and diming us. Unfortunately the providers that allow for 10/15/30 kids in their daycare will probably continue to charge a ridiculously low amount.

Expansive...
    This year I was ranging $49-$60 per day depending on hours and ages. I raised my rates starting january and will now be charging $55.50 to $75.00 per day depending on ages and hours used. ($75.00 is for extended hours for babies under one)

Living in a more expensive area in Toronto, The only way I could keep my doors open would be to charge a minimum $65.00.

I have to reconsider even having another child now. or if I'm going to do it . . . . do it quick as this infant could be a potential self-sabotage (isn't that sad?)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm just curious......if a parent is paying $65/day, how much are they making and what kind of career do they have? There is no way that most parents could even afford $40/day here in MB. I'm scared to think of how high your cost of living is in ON!!