Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    What if a parent needs to leave town or has an appointment that the child has to go too. Or what if they just want to pick up their child early and spend time with them or a family member is in town and wants to visit? What if the parent leaves work sick and doesn't want to come back out to pick up their child so they pick up on their way home?

I can not imagine telling a parent they couldn't pick up their child when they wanted. I totally understand it is nap time. I have a sign on my door saying not to ring the doorbell between 1 and 3. This is their children and if they want to pick up early I am not going to stop them. They all text me if they are going to pick up between those times so I know they are coming. I know we all do daycare differently but I would never tell a parent when they can and can't pick up their own child. Almost daily I have a child leave between 1215 and 1. One parent ends work every other day early and one parent has to take their child to preschool. I know the schedules ahead of time though and I arrange my lunch/nap routine around that. Pick up during naptime isn't my favourite but it's also not the end of the world for me and I would never not allow it.

**I should also mention that I am a firm believer that it doesn't need to be absolutely silent during quiet time. I do try to be quieter of course but I am not one of those people that make no noise just because a child is sleeping. They need to learn how to sleep during noise and all of them sleep through the pick ups great because of this.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 12-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Outgoing
    I require that if they need to be picked up early that they call me this way I can have the child ready. I don't like disruption at nap time either, acually its rare as most of my parents are at work and are happy to have me watch their kids even on their days off.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by jammiesandtea View Post
    When parents can't get small children to go to sleep at night, it's not about the nap they had in the afternoon, it's about the parent needing to implement and consistently enforce a proper bedtime routine. Most children will resist sleep and not want to miss out on what everyone else is doing if they are indulged and allowed to get their way when they fuss about it. What's needed is a strict bedtime and a routine of bath, reading a story, or whatever, then lights out and no waffling or negotiating with them. Take control and that is it.

Parents who have bedtime troubles with their kids are not willing or able to take control. That's what it boils down to.

And it shouldn't have to affect YOU negatively by making you work long hours with no break... and it shouldn't affect the child negatively, by making them miss out on sleep that they need, only because their parents aren't willing to step it up and get it done at bedtime.

I'd either put it back on them by explaining exactly that... maybe sugar-coated a little bit, if I cared about keeping them... or I'd fib and let them think the kid didn't nap or only napped what they wanted. It's all in their head and it miraculously improves for them when they think they got their way.
    That's not fair that you assume they are bad parents. Not fair at all. For me, I tried everything I could think of with my dd thinking it would pass, it was just a phase and that we would figure it out but nothing worked. She was 2 1/2 when sleep troubles started and after 3-4 months I gave up. She falls asleep maybe 1-2 per week when she needs it but that's it. Yes it sucks to give up our break but it's not fair to just blame it on poor parenting. You don't know what goes on at home for these kids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

For me and my dck's All the kids are quiet/napping from 12:30-3. It is just the way it is. When ds is home from school he knows that these are the rules for him too. And if he falls asleep he still starts his bed time routine at 8 pm, even on Saturdays and Sunday's (the bed time at 8)

I do not allow parents to pick up without a phone call, my door comes right to my living room area, where some kids are sleeping ---I will have them dressed and ready to go, this is only allowed if a child has a medical apt or something urgent. Otherwise no pick ups or drop offs from 11:00-3:30. (I don't want meal time to be interrupted either)

As for it having nothing to do with bad parenting I agree somewhat. My child grew out of nap time starting at 4, but he certainly knows what the expectations are; and that if they are not met then there is consequence. (Not saying that others give none, just what works for me) I feel it all comes down to clear expectations that are age appropriate for the child.

Also, I wanted to address the "no noise thing" I make noise while the kids are resting.... I often do dishes, check the mail, watch tv, etc.... But most times the parents come in letting the door slam behind them, sitting there chatting about whatever, and that's what wakes the kids up. So that is why I have a no pick up policy during rest.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 12-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge__driver11 View Post
    My child grew put of nap time starting at 4, but he certainly knows what the expectations are
    Same here. Dck and my son know what the expectations are and they lay down for quite time or nap time. My son was not a great sleeper and there was a time (before 18mo) when he was having a nap strike, but it went away since I was firm. At 2.5yo he now lays down for nap time (he rarely stays awake during nap time)and he goes to bed at the same time every day.

I also have the same policy of avoiding pick up between 12 to 3 pm. I need a break. In my case, I feel in much better mood and energized to take care of my son and dck if I have a break everyday from 10hr work. I think my patience would run thin if I have to work 10 hr straight looking after cranky kids whose parents don't want them to nap or have some quiet time to unwind.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    What if a parent needs to leave town or has an appointment that the child has to go too. Or what if they just want to pick up their child early and spend time with them or a family member is in town and wants to visit? What if the parent leaves work sick and doesn't want to come back out to pick up their child so they pick up on their way home?

I can not imagine telling a parent they couldn't pick up their child when they wanted. I totally understand it is nap time. I have a sign on my door saying not to ring the doorbell between 1 and 3. This is their children and if they want to pick up early I am not going to stop them. They all text me if they are going to pick up between those times so I know they are coming. I know we all do daycare differently but I would never tell a parent when they can and can't pick up their own child. Almost daily I have a child leave between 1215 and 1. One parent ends work every other day early and one parent has to take their child to preschool. I know the schedules ahead of time though and I arrange my lunch/nap routine around that. Pick up during naptime isn't my favourite but it's also not the end of the world for me and I would never not allow it.

**I should also mention that I am a firm believer that it doesn't need to be absolutely silent during quiet time. I do try to be quieter of course but I am not one of those people that make no noise just because a child is sleeping. They need to learn how to sleep during noise and all of them sleep through the pick ups great because of this.
    Well I can because when a parent comes to pick up a child in the middle of nap time that means that the child is not napping when he should be and there are children napping in various parts of the house including the playroom which is where parents enter and exit from... And generally when a parent comes the child is excited and tells "mommmmmmyyyyyyy y" and therefore wakes up the other children .... Why should the other children suffer because one parent can't arrange their time accordingly.... If a parent gets off work early go grocery shopping or run errands then when you pick up all your time is free to spend with the child

Euphoric !
    There is a big difference between the occasional need to pick up to take a child to an appointment or because the parents has an unexpected day off work and calls ahead. I do ask all of my parents to call ahead and let me know if there will be a change so that I can prepare everyone as children thrive on routine. Going to sleep beside your best friend only to wake and find them gone can be unnerving.

If a parent required routine pick up during naptime I would not sign them on because that is not fair to the child needing to be picked up because they would need to sleep in an area by themselves nor is it fair to the other children to always have me rummaging around in their sleep room getting a child up who may start to cry if they are woke up.

If a child is sleeping then they need the rest and whether the parent is off work or not doesn't matter because if they had kept child at home for the day the child would still be asleep at this hour so there is no loss of interaction time by asking the parent to go home, get changed, start dinner, get the groceries, whatever they want and then come to get the child but come at 3:00 right after nap and take child for a fun snacktime rather than their usual pick up of 4:30.

It isn't about denying a parent the right to have access to their child. It is about not allowing the parent to have access to the other children in the sense of waking them up and them being cranky. Often when you turn it around and say ok just remember that if I let you do this that XXX's mom or dad can do the same thing and then instead of your nicely mannered fun to be with child going home it will be a whiney cranky didn't get a full solid sleep in the afternoon child that I am sending home with you. This is group care and as such we have a responsibility to all of the children and their families to do right by them all and for me that means naptime is sacred and no one disturbs us.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I don't provide service to children who don't need a FULL afternoon nap. I base my rates on having non direct care from 12:15 to 2:45. If I have direct care during that time I would have to hire it out. This would cost me about 25$ a day. If the parent wants direct care (child not sleeping) they are welcome to pay this fee in addition to the cost of the slot.

If a parent wants a pick up.during that time they must text me five minutes out and I will wake the child and scoot them.out the door. I do not offer parent conferencing during nap. I also NEVER keep a child up for a nap time pick up. I don't do five minutes. If they are under my roof they go down at 1215. I had parents declare an early pick up and show up lateR than they say or even later than normal pick up.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I have recently come across this issue as well. I now call my nap time a "quiet time". Each of my children have their own space to sleep and my 3 year old who the parents don't want to sleep, is in her own room laying down, but with tree house on very quietly. This way, the tv is on so that it can occupy her if she is awake, but not to loud for the other children. However if she needs a nap she also tends to doze. I have discussed this with my daycare parents, and they are ok with this policy/comprimise. The only time there is any difference is when it is a PA day and I have my older children home, then they get to play on the computer quietly...the keyword being quietly. 12:45pm until 2:45pm at my home is QUIET time, no if's, and's or but's.

Euphoric !
    I guess I am just the odd one out. I think maybe I am more laid back than some lol. It works for me and my dc and pickup during naptime doesn't disrupt the other children sleeping. It does disrupt my "kid free" break by a bit but most jobs get at the most, an hour and 2 15 minute breaks. I don't feel that I need a 3 hour break so if a parent wants to pick up earlier that is fine by me....means my afternoon is less work and usually the day ends earlier which I will take any day over a non-pick up nap time

I understand why other's may feel they need to do it, I just don't find it necessary for me. If it was happening a lot and they were disrupting the other's than I would consider changing my policy but most likely would just address it with that one parent instead of denying nap time pick up to all of them.

There was a thread the other day about parents still sending their child to dc when they are on a day off and some felt that if they are paying us they can do what they want. I don't think it's fair to tell them they can do errands while their child is sleeping and pick up after. It's their time off and if they want their child, by all means have them! haha(I am all for parents spending more time with their children!!) Say it in whatever words you want, it is denying access to their child. However, if it's in your policy and the parents agree to it, than all is good!
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 12-09-2013 at 08:35 AM.