Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Proposed Changes to Days Nurseries Act.....with it's new name.

The following was posted on the "College of Early Childhood Educators" web site. I followed the link and have reviewed the proposed changes that were passed on the first reading. Take a moment to review this. From what I can see, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but the only change they are making for home daycare providers who do not work with an agency is to specify that we can look after a maximum of 5 children, not including our own as long as they are over the age of 6. As well as specifying that we can not look after more than two children under the age of two. In all honesty, for the 6 years that I have been doing daycare, I have been doing this already.

Maybe I am missing something, and if I am please point it out to me if I am missing something.

Thanks.

On Tuesday, December 3 the Ontario Government introduced proposed changes to the Early Childhood Educators Act, 2007 as part of the proposed new Child Care Modernization Act (Bill 143).

The Child Care Modernization Act would replace the Day Nurseries Act and includes changes to the Education Act. Changes to the ECE Act as part of the new legislation would coincide with the College’s statutory five-year review, which began in the spring of 2013. The statutory changes that are proposed for the ECE Act are largely consistent with the College’s submission to the Ministry of Education in the summer.

The Bill successfully passed through the Ontario Legislature on its first reading on December 3, 2013. To view the current status of the Child Care modernization Act please see the link below:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...etail_the_bill

The College of ECE has worked collaboratively with the Ministry of Education to propose updates to the College of Early Childhood Educators Act and is pleased that the Ministry is focused on updating legislation to support children and families in early years settings. The College looks forward to reviewing the proposed bill in more detail and to participating in the next steps of the legislative process.

Outgoing
    I just don't understand the 6 yr old rule because at the age of 6 your child is in school, acually most are in school at the age of 4, are we a little behind in the times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

FSD

Euphoric !
    There are still some areas that have not totally rolled out the full day kindergarten so that may be part of the age 6. Also from a needs standpoint kids that are 4-5 are still more likely to need our help to do things than a child over age 6. Age 6 has always been that magic number as in that is what is used in the rules in effect now meaning those in grade 1 and up.

Also not everyone sends their child to JK/SK because it is not compulsory to have some form of schooling in effect until a child is 6 years old so the rule will be based on the education act too.

Outgoing
    I skimmed through it as well.
    The ONLY difference I saw was the "No more than 2 under age of 2" and it kept the number as 5 kids allowed. Made no mention of including your own kids.

Starting to feel at home...
    There is going to be a lot of 12 to 2 without care. What are your thoughts?

Outgoing
    people here are running to sign their kids up to go to school, heck they can't wait to send their kids so they don't have to pay daycare.

Euphoric !
    The part about including your own kids is in a different section than the 2 under 2 rule. Your own under age 6 count but those over 6 don't count. However, a child over 6 that is a daycare child does count in your 5 so they have removed the ability to take a school age child for everyone of your own kids that was counted. That used to be how agencies were able to put 5 kids in a home.

Also note in the definitions at the beginning that the definition of "child" is changing from the current age 10 to age 13 meaning we can't have those extra really old b/a kids without counting them.

In theory schools are supposed to make spaces for any child over 6 that needs care effectively taking them out of the daycare system altogether. As well schools are supposed to have care for JK/SK. Leaving of course only those age 3 and under needing care.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    but where I live there are alot of schools that don't have daycares attatched to them. So where are those kids going to go. Also, my concern is going to be that more and more kids are going to be left alone at home instead of going to an afterschool program. And why do they offer babysitting classes at the age of 10 but on the other hand are saying they need to go to daycare. Totally makes no sense. I have kids who get dropped off at my house for 5 min, so what are they going to do (the most is 10 min) I really think they need to give school agers a different catagory.

Outgoing
    Thanks Playfelt. I totally missed that section. It does say the 5 under age 6 include your own and no more than 2 under 2.
    Does anyone know when this will effective? Immediately? There has been nothing on the news that I have seen... so far.

Outgoing
    There is another thread on this with hundreds of posts. It is just hitting the news now. Many providers an parents have written protest letters to,the Ontario Legislature, so it should get more publicity this week. Links to,the media articles and the transcripts of,the proceedings are also posted.