Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Is it the weather?

So... Have anyone else's kids been F****** terrible lately?!? Pardon my implied language.

I don't know if it's the weather or they're all hitting their respective phases all at once, but I'm going to lose it soon if it doesn't get better.

My 4 year old and 3.5 year old dcb have decided that they want to argue with each other and the other kids, as well as myself over EVERYTHING. 2.5 yo dcg has thrown three 10-15 minute tantrums in the 3 hours she been here, and her refusing to listen resulted in us missing outside time today. Which I really didn't want to do but she's one kid who needs consequences reinforced always. My 2 year old has decided not to share anything, and his listening isn't awesome on a good day but he seems worse this last week. The poor 13 month old dcg is just along for the ride at this point.

I don't want to be a drill Sargent, but honestly, I'm close to just giving them time outs for any and every behaviour. Christmas break can not come soon enough!

Outgoing
    I had relatives visit over the weekend with toys for my two kids! So first thing this morning all 6 kids are happily playing with the new toys!! We went outside and my brother offered to come help me take them all for a walk around the neighbourhood. We had 3 of them in sleds so I couldn't have done this by myself. My Monday is going pretty good actually!
    However!! My 3.5 year old son is for sure going thru a horrible stage!! He has started whining. Like unimaginable, ear-peircing whining. Grrrr I hate it soooo much!! He has even become quite the cry baby. He used to be a really tough kid but now he can burst into tears at the drop of a hat. Also he is using baby-talk. Out of no where, he would say "abababAHHHHH gabbbyickky!!!" like super loud, or some sort of jibberish. Just to get my attention I'm sure. I feel like I am constantly yelling at him and my voice is getting sore!! Hahah how much longer till he moves out!? 15? 16 more years?? Lol

Euphoric !
    Been there! I think we are probably all needing a holiday (seems like a very long stretch from summer vacation) and the added stress of the new ratio rules etc is probably not helping matters.

2 weeks a go was really hard for me. Last week was better (only because I had only 1 or 2 extra kids depending on day) but today I am starting to feel it again. I have one little girl (20 mos) that has been driving me crazy. She copies everything my 22 mos old does but only after I've redirected my daughter does she do it. Looking for the attention my daughter just got I guess.

Euphoric !
    Kingston mom- I've got a whiner too, not my kid thank God. I just ignore it (he knows I don't tolerate it so he knows the ignoring is not that I haven't heard him), I will take care of other kid's needs before his while he is whining and make big deal about it "I can help you next Suzy, you asked me in a nice voice" or I tell him I can't understand "whining" and he has to repeat himself in a nice voice. The whining has dropped dramatically.

Euphoric !
    Here in MB, we have had very cold temps and windchill's. All last week was inside days and it's looking like this week is the same My kids are definitely feeling it!! I have a mini trampoline which helps exert some energy but this group of kids gets so bored with just free play so it's been a lot of art, games and sensory activities going on. I'm exhausted LOL. I've been using pinterest ideas almost daily.

Today we baked nuts and bolts for part of their parent gift and this afternoon I will pull out the water table. I think the parents are going to get a lot of baking this year as I plan to do a baking every day this week if the high windchills stick around

Outgoing
    5little monkeys, we're is the desolate wasteland that is the prairies too. It's been awful. I'm hoping to get them out this afternoon because we won't be able to the rest of the week.

I did the indoor tents and tunnels, and some sensory bins and play doh last week, it's looking to be the same this week.

I've been having issues with 3.5 yo dcb. He is saying "no" a lot, arguing, hurting the other kids (just randomly pinching or pulling hair), and spilling his food or drinks for no apparent reason. He was meant to be gone Thursday this week until Wednesday next, so I've refrained from sending mom a warning, thinking the break might help him. Mom told me this morning he'll be here straight until the 19th now (dads in the hospital so I totally understand), I don't know how I'm going to make it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    December is a hard month for most I would assume. The parents are out and about more and sometimes kids are at dc and than a babysitter's so parents can get shopping done in secret or attend work parties. The get together's with friends and family are disruptive as usually there are lots of treats and toys and attention from people who may not see them often. Lack of sleep is probably to blame as well.

I have considered doing the elf on the shelf idea but didn't again this year. Maybe next year? Has anyone else done that at dc and did you find the kids liked it? It seems like a big commitment LOL

Euphoric !
    My gang seems very unfocussed last week and this week. We are accomplishing hardly anything Christmas wise as they just never get around to it. It can take 45 minutes to pick up a few blocks cause they just can't stay on task - not the type of gang you want to do a craft with.

Have tried a few different methods and end result is pretty much the same. Families haven't indicated that life is that unusually busy but hard to say this time of year.