Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Dcb may have head lice?

Parent mentions that they thought their 2 year old may have lice... They did not see adult lice, just possibly nits and they were not sure if they were nits or dandruff. They treated both him and his kindergarten age brother with a medicated lice treatment and will do so again in 10 days according to the instructions. I am watching dcb VERY carefully as I do not want this to spread especially before Christmas!
    My policy states that they must stay home if they have severe itching or infestation due to lice or scabies. I have noticed a little bit of itching on the scalp but it could be coincidental or due to irritation from the treatment?
    What do you do and what is your policy? I realize there is not much more dcp can do besides the treatment. Should I have insisted he be at home or is there danger of transmission after the treatment? Or is he now fine as he has had the treatment?
    This is my first experience with lice as a parent and provider.
    TIA!

Shy
    I would be more worried that the DCB has been in your home leading up to/prior to the "suspected" head lice.

You should be checking yourself, your children and any other children in your care, and advising those families... in addition to cleaning EVERYTHING!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsy For This Useful Post:

Did you check yourself? If nits are present the child shouldn't be there! My daughter had it once and she got it from just lying on the same carpet as an infested friend. It's a pain to get rid of. They do look like dandruff (grayish white and small like a grain of sand) but are hard to move off of a strand of hair. They can still be transmitted after treatment if any at all are left.
    If he does have them wash everything you can in HOT water and put stuffies in a airtight bag for 2 weeks so the lice can't survive. As a precaution I'd wash hair with shampoo mixed with tea tree oil as it's a natural anti-lice treatment.
    Last edited by Daisy123; 12-10-2013 at 12:07 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

I just checked him and didn't see anything but a bit of dandruff. From what I have read nits don't come off easily like dandruff.
    I'm wondering if the parents know that he had it and are saying they weren't sure...
    Yuck. I will be sanitizing and washing everything that his head came in contact with!

Lice like warm places so you'd be more likely to see them behind the ears or at the nape of the neck. I don't envy you the cleaning but at least you'll be reassured!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    It sounds like the parent just treated some dandruff... which will probably make the dandruff worse.

I don't allow the kids in my home until all lice or nits are gone. Once they treat, they have to physically remove all of the nits still.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    NO WAY. Child would not be allowed into my home until lice is gone and treatments are all finished. Luckily I haven't had to deal with this issue at all and hopefully never have to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I could be wrong as it's been years since I've dealt with lice but cleaning and disinfecting your home will not kill them. The bedding, stuffies, pillows etc will need to be washed in hot water. I also think I remember being able to put things like that in garbage bags and keep outside in the winter for a week or two and that will kill off the lice? Bring back in and give a wash in hot water.

Lice re-occurs usually because the hair is treated but the home isn't. It's a pain in the butt to do all the cleaning but it's needed. I would keep all extra bedding and stuffies away until the lice is gone for sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Update....
    After I thought about it some more I called dc mom to find out what was really going on. She said yes they did find nits in dcb hair last night so they treated it. Dad had not quite told me everything. Turns out older brother had this on the weekend and the parents did not think to check the 2 year old until last night. So he was here all day yesterday and the dcps did not think to let me know that big brother had lice on the weekend! I was livid and told mom they had to pick up their son. She thought since it had been treated that he was no longer 'contagious' for lack of a better word. I said yes, you need to keep him home 24 hours to check him And make sure all the nits are gone. Then... Oh the nerve... She asked if I could come pick her up from her work and take her and her son home as she does not have a vehicle and dad does not want to be interrupted at work!! I was so mad I told her I would call her back. In the meantime I guess she called dad and told him and dad called me right away and offered to come get dcb right away.
    Wow. I'm still mad at mom's nonchalance and the nerve to ask me to drive her. It may be a cultural thing but NO you can take a taxi and come get him! Not my problem! Dad was very nice and apologetic, he said whatever I want they will do, they really like me and don't want to cause any problem.
    Now I am wondering if I should ask him to stay home tomorrow or what... I am washing everything today and checking myself and my kids. Will also wash with tea tree oil.
    I will definitely be revamping my illness policy to include more info on lice and asking parents to be sure to let me know if any siblings have anything like this or communicable illnesses.
    Ugh.. I am feeling so itchy now!!

Euphoric !
    My sick policy states:

"Head Lice and Bedbugs - I ask to be notified immediately if any member of your household has head lice or if you have bedbugs. Your child is not to attend daycare until after your home has been completely free of lice and bedbugs for the sake of the other children in daycare and my own home."

This covers the whole family not just the child. There is no way I want to have this in my house!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: