Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Toddler that likes to eat his friends

I have a very aggressive toddler in my home daycare whom likes to nibble on his friends arms, or pinches when he doesn't get what he wants. I guess what I am seeking is some advice on how to curb this behavior.

Thanks

Shy
    my mom would say bite him back! LOL ok that's not my real advice hehe. What have you tried so far? time outs? firm talking to? separating him from the activity? Unfortunately at this age, it's a LOT of repetition until they either 'get it' or grow out of it. Does he do it at home too? Are parents giving him the same message or discipline as you?
    “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”

― Angela Schwindt

Euphoric !
    I have been to a few a conferences and workshops about biting and this is probably the hardest behaviour to curb because they do it so quickly that it's hard to see coming! It is my most dreaded bad behaviour because it can get ugly quickly! Knock on wood...I haven't had a biter yet!

Be consistent with what you are doing and be on the same wavelength as the parents. The child will hopefully learn that biting has a consequence and the phase will likely pass quicker.

Euphoric !
    It is very important that the parents not let it go at home either and then it is reprimanded every time it is done.

I would separate the two types of activities though. The pinching comes under the hitting, kicking, punching category in the sense that it is deliberate. The biting is often more of a reflex thing and while done in frustration or anger is harder for the child to control and takes less thought on their part. Giving the child something acceptable to bite such as attaching a teething ring to their clothes and making them bite only that can help some - they just need a good chomp down to get the frustration out.

Euphoric !
    How old is he? What seems to trigger it? What have you tried so far?

I too had this problem, it finally stopped when I made him shadow me. We stopped telling him not to do it and if I left the room so did he. I also watched him constantly and if I saw him starting to lean in to bite I just moved him on to something else. I did this for 2days and we have not had another problem since.

Euphoric !
    The shadow technique seems to be most effective with aggressive kids. They so badly want to play and roam free, but the emotions get the best of them. A day or two, with constant reminders that once they are playing nicely, they can play with friends again, usually cures (or at least curbs!) the behaviour.