Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Smile First time attempt at Gingerbread with the kids!

Tried doing gingerbread with the kids after lunch today since we had 30 minutes before nap. I have two 2.5 yr olds one 2 yr old and 1 3.5 year old..

The 3.5 yr old did great!! But the other three started spreading the flour out and rubbing there faces.. Haha I did help them to cut three cookies each though they all did pretty good!

But my goodness the mess!! Flour all over the babies, booster seats and floor..

Already managed to mop once, and I got them sleeping in the diapers so I could put there clothes in the wash..

Not sure if I will be brave enough to try doing cookies with them again lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMomma For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    lol. this is one reason I don't do any baking with my daycare kids!

Good for you to try, maybe next time have the cookies baked already and just decorate them, that is enough of a mess.

Outgoing

Building gingerbread houses

That reminds me when I thought I would make gingerbread houses with the kids, luckily only had a few kids. Boy was that an error in judgement!lol Then a few years later I tried graham cracker houses. They are all cut the same size, how hard could it be right? Double LOL

Euphoric !
    haha, it sounds cute though!! And I bet the kids LOVED it!! Good for you

I enjoy baking with my dc kids and they have a blast too. Depending on what we are making, I will do some of the work ahead of time, that helps cut back the stress and mess! haha. They love taking home their treats and showing their parents what they made. I use premade mixes sometimes but in the new year I resolve to make my own pre-mixed bags (pinterest idea!!) If I'm making something from scratch, I keep it simple....like 5 ingredients or less!

I haven't done gingerbread houses but we decorated "trees" last year. Take an ice-cream cone (the pointy kind) and turn it upside down. Spread green icing on it (help the kids with this part so that the cone doesn't break from their force lol) and then let them decorate with things like sprinkles, smarties, chocolate chips, any small candy. They were super simple, so cute and much easier to do with a handful of kids than houses!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Great idea!

Good for you for trying!!! Hope you took a few pictures.

Euphoric !
    Hahahaha! When I bake with the kids, I admit that the level of help from them is pretty much kept to stirring stuff.
    Also: why did the graham cracker houses not work?? LoL, we are trying that next week!!!

Expansive...
    Yikes !!! Good for you !! I'm not brave lol