Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Inconsistent drop off times

I have family where mom has a pretty flexible work schedule. From the beginning we had planned on dck to be dropped off to me around 9:00am every day. I honestly haven't had a 9:00 drop off with him in at least a month. Yesterday it was after 10, the day before around 9:30. I just got a message from her today saying she won't be dropping off dck until around 9:45.
    At first I didn't mind it and it didn't really throw off our routine. Now it's starting to get annoying. Today I had planned to be leaving my house by 9:30 at the latest to do an outing. I didn't warn her about going out like I usually do since it was kind of last minute. She's usually pretty good about getting him here if I tell her we have something outside of the house planned.
    Anyway, that's my rant. But ...do you guys have a certain time you tell parents to have their kids at your house? Is timing an issue for you and would you say something to the parents if it continues?

When the parents sign the contract, I ask them the approx time (give or take a few minutes) of drop-off and pick-up. I tell them that I usually go outside or on a walk at 9:10, so to be there before hand.

I would personally ask the parent to give you a more consistent drop-off time, as it is disrupting your routine (they don't have to know it might be a white lie!).

Starting to feel at home...
    I would mention it to the parent as well. All my parents drop off by 8am, so it's never been an issue for me until recently a parent had a few weeks of a flexible working schedule and she started dropping her child off at different times. I explained to her that she needed to have her child here prior to 8:30 because we go for a walk at that time and then play outside from 9 to 10:15. Well the next day she wasn't here and I wasn't waiting for her. Stuck a note to the door and said gone for our walk, back at 9:00am. She was here waiting for me and I reminded her of the drop off time again and she hasn't done it since.

So I would mention it to her, she probably doesn't even realize that it's an inconvenience for you. Explain that you need all the children to be at your place prior to 9am.

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree, it can be disruptive to your routine... mine for sure, I hammer out drop off details in the interview. My school run takes about 45mins, so I tell them they need to be here by 7:30 sharp, or 8:15. If they want breakfast, they have to be here at 7am. I had a problem w/ my newest family, they said 6:50 they'd drop off, and they needed me to give their daughter breakfast. It varied from 6:45-7:25! Not that that's a big variance, but it is when I have to get this kid breakfast and get 5 others dressed and out the door for school by 7:30! Mom said, its ok she can eat when you get back from school.... I said no, sorry, breakfast at my house is at 7am, I'm not making breakfast a 2nd time b/c you cant get out the door on time! (I said it nicer than that! ) And the child has been here at 7am sharp ever since!!!

I would definatly discuss it with her!

Euphoric !
    I would definitely mention it if you feel like it needs to change. Parents forget that we aren't just "floatin' along" in our days, we are trying to keep x-number of kids occupied and most of us have some sort of schedule to follow.
    I am not doing school drop-offs anymore, but this past school year I was. I found that some of the parents were beginning to either pop in early or show up a little later. I put a note in our monthly newsletter about the importance of staying as close to their "regularly scheduled" arrival/ pick up times. I simply explained that we had to be leaving the house at very specific times, twice a day and that if they were not able to be there by that time, they might miss us. And if people hadn't dropped off by the time we had to leave.... too bad. A note went up on the door, telling them to call my cell. (Sometimes we would go out after the drop-off)
    I still have one family that has a lax attitude about it and I finally had to tell them to let me know when they expected to show up. We can't hear the doorbell in the playroom all the time, and I am not going to wait around for them all morning!

You just tell them that by 9am you are ready to get the kids rolling so you can start your day. You tell her that by 9am she needs to be there so you can get to the park, go for your walk, whatever it is you like to start your day off with.

We go for a walk or to the park everyday. The parents know this. And they know that if they are not here by 9am no one will be here to accept their child.

Just be honest with her. And then, if she is still holding you up, you just leave. Put a sticky note on the door and let HER track YOU down.

It is unfair for the other kids in your program to suffer the effects of not getting to do activities simply because of the tardiness of one parent.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    This used to drive me absolutely crazy when I first opened. Now it doesn't bother me.
    Parents here drop off their kids between 7 and 10:30. We do our thing and if we leave to go somewhere, like a walk or the park I just leave a note on the door and they come find us.
    However, crafts are done early... snack time is at 9 and if the child arrives after that time I do not do another craft or serve them a snack.
    This works for me. If this really others you though you do need to speak up.
    Good luck and please keep us posted !

Outgoing
    I mentioned it to mom again yesterday when I picked up dck. Ya, that's right, I picked him up. Don't know why but i offered to pick the dck up on my out since we were heading the direction of the house anyways (in same neighborhood.) Anyway, we'll see how she does next week with getting him here now that I've touched on it again.

Shy
    I had a parent do this repeatedly. Then I just rewrote my contract that if a parent is not here within 15 minutes of their child's scheduled drop-off time, they will be marked absent (and I get the day off from their child with pay..hehe). Never had a late drop off ever again.

Too frustrating, not a great way to begin the day; I did provide a schedule... ie I leave and will return by, but am constantly receiving texts... where are you etc., it is crazy... I want the phone with me in case of emergencies but when it turns into a pain because people want directions ... to places I may not even know the street names. I can't text and watch the kids, I also do not have a phone for their convenience I will not answer calls, but don't know what to do with the texts; I don't mind the odd time, I do understand sometimes things don't work the way they should? I feel it is my responsibility to be accessible, but.... I provided the schedule so this does not happen?