Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Gifts...open at dc or home??

I buy Christmas gifts for my dck's and I am wondering how other dcp's handle giving them out.

In the past, I have given them on their last day here before the holidays at the end of the day. They take them home and open whenever. The parents always text me saying their child liked it and some have even sent pictures of them opening them or them playing with the gift I have done this because I figure it is less stress for me because I am sure they will want to play with them right away and I don't want pieces lost, broken or fought over since I give different gifts to each child depending on their age and likes. They also tend to leave on different days.

This year I am considering letting them unwrap them at our Christmas party on the last day that everyone is here which will be next Tuesday. However, I don't want the parents who are still here for the following 3 days to feel that they need to buy me a Christmas present if they weren't planning on it.

What do you do and why?

Euphoric !
    I send them home to be opened with the family but I always send them home so there is a weekend left for them to shop - just in case they might want to buy me something too.

Euphoric !
    I don't want them to feel they need to buy me something in return though. If they buy me something that is awesome and appreciated but I don't want a gift just because I gave their child one. I don't think the gift would have the same meaning if I knew or thought they gave me one just so they didn't feel bad that they didn't think to buy me one on their own. Does that make sense?

I'm just getting over the fact that the parents text you and send pictures of the child opening the gift!!! I give the kids gifts because I want to and if gives me pleasure doing so. The thank you is not a huge deal though acknowledgement is when a gift is given.

My experience with parents is that they rarely mention the gift the next time I see them. These are educated and other wise pleasant well mannered folk who consistently do this. A couple will come in and tell me their child really loved the toy/book which is appreciated, but like I said, most behave like it never happened!?!?

Euphoric !
    Mimi, I know what you mean. I love giving gifts and do it often throughout the year for their birthdays and holidays such as valentines, easter and halloween. I have never had a parent who didn't say thank you. Some of them gush over it a little much actually lol. I had given bath toys to a dcb and his older sister and the mom sent me the cutest pic of them in the tub playing with them. That was awesome! I should say though, that my past group was all older mom's and they were all professionals and so polite and classy(for the most part lol). This group is extremely young moms and 2 are still in school so I am not sure what to expect from them this year. I think I may let them open their gift on their last day here all together. I do this for the children not the parents and I would like to see their reaction Is that selfish of me? I sometimes wonder if the parents want to open it with them so they see their reaction too?

I let them open their birthday present at daycare because we have a little party for them and I do think it's important for kids to realize that it is a child's bday and we don't all get gifts on their special day so I use it as a teaching opportunity. The little gift bags I make up for holidays I show them at last snack and than put them in their bags as it's usually contains a few treats and I don't want the sugar high LOL

Mimi, hopefully your next group of parents will be a little more appreciatative. Even though we do this for the children, it is just polite manners to say thank you for giving their child a gift.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 12-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I got them to open their gifts at daycare but I think this was a rookie mistake lol... It was a big gong show! Everyone was all over eachother's presents. Next year, I'll be sending them home, wrapped.
    Every day is a bad hair day

Euphoric !
    LOL chill.winston....... that is my fear!! Now I'm unsure again lol

I can just picture the bedlam chill.winston!!! Too funny.

Euphoric !
    I always send them home and that is what I will do again this year.

I have to say I don't really remember if a parent has ever said thank you for their gift I send home to their child. Hmmm..I will have to pay more attention this year and see what happens.

Expansive...
    I am sending mine home with a special goody bag !! It's a little awkward because I don't want them to feel they have to run out and get something for me !!!!!