Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Child holding food in mouth and won't swallow

Does anyone else go through this? This is more of a rant than anything. Over the few years I have been running my daycare it seems like almost every child goes through this. It drives me absolutely bonkers! It seems like my 18 month old dcg is going to start doing this now. I usually just let the child sit at the table until they finally chew and swallow the food but good grief some kids can let this drag on forever. Today my 18 month old dcg took a half hour to eat her food in her mouth. Sigh.... I am grouchy today lol. 6 more working days until Christmas and it can't come fast enough.

Starting to feel at home...
    I hear you and drives me crazy too!!! I have a 3 yo dcb who does this occasionally and then, to top it off, adds a sip of milk to the mess, continues to chew and then wonders why it all ends up in his lap. Almost holiday time!!!

Euphoric !
    Huh, I have not had this issue. On the contrary, I feel like I am always saying : "Slow down please- Take NICE bites- Use our spoon/fork, not our hands".... You get the picture.
    I turned around the other day, and one little guy was eating with his face into the plate, like a dog???? I removed the food and we had a little chat about table manners before he got to eat again.

Euphoric !
    lol mom-in-alberta! It always amazes me the lack of manners that are taught to children. I am always telling kids to use their fork instead of their hands. I have a 4 year old that makes more of a mess eating than the 2 year old sometimes! Constantly telling the 2 year old to not use her hands.

Not sure why but it seems like all the kids seem to go through this stage at one point or another where they will just hold the food in their mouth and not chew or swallow. I am glad to say that the 18month old seemed to just do it yesterday and today she ate fine so not sure what was up with that.

Expansive...
    I have noticed that alot of kids have no tables manners at all !! I have a dcg 3 who try's to eat her applesauce or yogurt with her fingers . So frustrating !! Especially as I am monitoring the 15 month old and look over and she has a huge mess happening !!
    I haven't encountered holding food in their mouths though , a couple of mine try to eat off others plates .