Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Part-Time Care?

Shy

Exclamation Part-Time Care?

Hi!

I live in Oshawa and I'm needing part time care for my 1 year old son by Tues. Sept 6th! I'm finding a lot of places want you to commit to 3 days a week. I'm needing somewhere that is flexible with their schedule (times will vary between 9am and 5pm).

Does anyone know where I can find someone like this?

Thanks!!

jes

Starting to feel at home...
    If you go to the homepage of this site, you type in your start date and postal code and all of the providers near you who have openings will come up. You can also try kijiji.

Euphoric !
    Part time care is difficult because Ontario limits spaces by number of children per day not by how long they are there. That means that you can not go over 5 children even if it is just for an hour or two here and there. What the caregiver is asking is if you want to reserve one of her five spaces then you need to assure her of a certain amount of income.

It is hard to imagine that you would work very long for a company that called you in whenever they wanted and only paid you for a few days of work here and there. Because of that committment you would be unable to take on another job because you would never know when you would be able to work because of your first job. At the same time you would likely not make enough money to pay the rent, buy food, etc. That is what you are asking your caregiver to do - to give you one of her spaces without any guarantee of the amount of income she is going to get from the space to use towards her expenses so she can't plan. This is why most caregivers ask for a minimum payment per week so they can budget. I know it sounds unfair but when you reverse the situation you would likely think your boss is being unfair and wouldn't agree to work that way.

Instead of looking for a daycare provider what you may really be looking for is someone to babysit for a few hours here and there and for that check with local drop in groups and see if you can find another mother interested in trading services. Daycare providers do care for a business and expect to be paid accordingly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: