Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Have you ever fallen with a child in your arms :(

Hi,

Ladies I had a little man and me go flying up the stairs today and his forhead hit the step causing a massive goose egg. I feel so bad! I think that my saving grace is that this child can talk and will be able to account that it was a huge accident.

The parents were amazingly understanding.

Have any of you had anything as crazy as this happen.

I've had a couple close calls on the stairs. That is why I get the kids to climb the stairs as soon as possible so I can follow behind to stop any falls.
    This must have given you such as scare (and the little one too) Don't be hard on yourself though, accidents do happen. Glad the parents were understanding.

apples and bananas
    I can only imagion how bad you must feel. Accidents happen. I'm sure you did everything you could to prevent too much injury. And I'm sure the parents appreciate your honesty.

Euphoric !
    Aw, hope you didn't hurt yourself. Did you put a cold cloth on the goose egg to keep the swelling down? Most kids won't let you put an icecube on them. Would it be a lot safer to have the children go up the stairs by themselves instead of carrying them? Boys are always hurting themselves so I'm sure things like this have happened at home already.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    I 99% of the time get the kids to go up the stairs on there own. This little man was being taken up to his bed for a time out. He hit another child in the head with a large barbie jeep. I tripped over the top bar of the gate I wish I got hurt and took the brunt of the fall.

I was shaking for a good 2 hours, in our line of business there is just no excuses for error when we are looking after someone's baby.

With that said I tell my parents about every scratch and bang, I am such a safety nut. I feel so terrible it sucks.

I happened with my son twice when he was under 1 year old. First time I fell backwards when holding him facing me as the chair I was about to seat in slide back. He did not get hurt. In a split of a second I pulled him away from me as much as I could. Since I did that I just let go backwards and felt hard on my head. Second time I had him in a front carrier and trip. Again, he just touched the floor, but I hurt myself. My daycare kids crawl or hold into the handrail as soon as they are able to. When I have babies in my care, I am always concern that I could fall when getting down and go slowly and grab in the handrail. I did the same thing when I was pregnant. I was sooo afraid I could fall.

OMG Skysue. That must have been scary. It seem that almost all kinds of falls had happened with my son. I fell in top of the gate with my son underneath as he refused to get to the other side of the gate. The weight pull me down. I tried to pull the gate up as much as I could when falling. I did not see any bruises on him after that, but I hurt my leg and elbow...He cried a lot after all those falls, but I think it was because he was scare...

Expansive...
    It hasn't happened to me but it is a fear I have. I can imagine it was a horrifying moment for you.

The bottom line is that it could happen to anyone. People trip. It doesn't seem like there was much you could have done to prevent it.

Even if the child was crawling up the stairs themselves they could have fallen back and hit themselves before you would have had a chance to catch them. I have had children go up the stairs ahead of me and still tumble back two or three steps before I catch them and they roll down and hit themselves on the stairs during those few seconds before I catch them.

It really is something that can happen really fast and despite our best efforts.

I was carrying a 12 month old in my arms walking into a school to pick up another child when i slipped on the floor. My first reaction was to grab his head and protect it. When we fell, I somehow twisted my whole body so he didn't hit the ground at all. I ended up with a sprained ankle, sore wrist, bruised knee and sore hip! Luckily a lot of parents and the staff came and helped me out. With a little help from the chiro I was ok in a few weeks

Outgoing
    I've never fallen, but my new dcg fell into the corner of one of my cabinets and had a huge goose egg almost immediately. I felt awful as well, I nearly started crying when I was talking to her mom on the phone.

My son had done it last year and I'd called health link at that time, thinking I'd have to go to the hospital. The nurse told me that anything on the forehead always looks worse than a similar bump would anywhere else. It's the body's way of protecting the brain, pushing fluid automatically out so swelling doesn't push in.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to beat yourself up over it. Parents know that kids get hurt, and honestly, they've probably done worse in their parents care than yours!