Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DCK with rash

Outgoing

DCK with rash

I have a child in my daycare who stayed home on Monday due to illness (fever and cold) and is home again today with swollen eyes and an angry looking rash all over his face. Parents say they spoke to the dr who said to give antihistamine as it seems like an allergic reaction. dCK told me yesterday that his dad gave him medcine in the morning before he came here.
    I suspect they will try to bring him here tomorrow and I'm not sure how to handle it- I really need a week off (I am off next wee) with my family and really don't want to be sick!
    Am I overreacting?

Euphoric !
    It is ok to ask that they bring a doctors note saying that the rash is from allergies and not contagious.

Outgoing
    I thought about that but they haven't actually been to the dr, just spoke on the phone.

Euphoric !
    If you are concerned, get them to bring a note. Tell them now so they can go today.

Euphoric !
    I would just say that you would really like them to go to the doctor to get checked out to make sure it isn't anything contagious and could they please bring a note from the doctor.

I am surprised the doctor wouldn't ask them to come in to make sure. I know doctors here won't give any advice over the phone and the must see the patient before they diagnose anything.

Euphoric !
    Maybe the medicine was something like benedryl?

I would ask them to bring in a doctors note saying it isn't contagious. I would explain that you don't want to risk it being so close to holidays and you wouldn't want any other children with a rash over their holidays.

I find it odd that the doctor would diagnose over the phone...

Euphoric !
    it could be fifths......my son had it a few years ago .....he had a fever and sore throat and a bright red rash on his face that looked like he had been slapped. its very contagious and dangerous if your pregnant in the first trimester. I find it very strange that a dr would diagnose over the phone.....I have a 24 hour exclusion for rashes of any kind, and a 48 hour exclusion for any ailment that requires antibiotics

Outgoing
    Yes I am concerned about fifth disease as I just found out that I am pregnant (!!!) however my son had it last year and I didn't get it so think I am immune.
    I do not completely believe that they had a phone consultation either. Makes me mad that they would lie to me but I know this isn't the first time.
    Last edited by gravy_train; 12-18-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Euphoric !
    They may have called telehealth - you don't always get a good answer from there.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by gravy_train View Post
    Yes I am concerned about fifth disease as I just found out that I am pregnant (!!!) however my son had it last year and I didn't get it so think I am immune.
    I do not completely believe that they had a phone consultation either. Makes me mad that they would lie to me but I know this isn't the first time.
    im not sure but I think its more dangerous to the unborn child not the mother .....I don't even think the mother has to show symptoms ....but you would have to google it to get all the facts ....it has something to do with anemia in the newborn (low iron)