Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing

Christmas gifts from DCfamilies to you

Let's go for something a little light hearted today what are some things that families have given you for Christmas? I appreciate all the gifts i have received, the families thought of something a little extra for me aside from the regular weekly pay. I have received things like soap/lotion sets, gift cards, coffee sets, etc. Today I got a $50 gift card to the LCBO (Liquor store) We rarely drink but the thought was nice!

Also- on the flip side- have you ever received something odd or unusual? I haven't yet.

This year I have received a bottle of wine accompanied by an array of chocolates from the local chocolates shop which was a lovely gift except this parent clearly is forgetting herself as I have a dairy intolerance lol and yes she knows because her son is dairy free and it is something that we talk about on a regular basis...ah well, my husband is happy Today is my last day so I will update you all later.....I also have a little guy leaving today too.

I have received gift cards to the spa, hairdressers and bookstore (my fave) I hate receiving chocolates but that's my personal preference and I usually regift them. I am a big fan of regifting but there are some strict guidelines one must follow. I had a parent regift a scruffy little scarf, and she told me LOLOL Silly woman may as well have said "Someone bought me this ugly thing. Here, you have it" lmao

One year someone bought my kids a board game, 2 bottles of wine and put $125 in a lovely handwritten card. I was shocked. Other no no for regifting is when packaging is marked or damaged. Someone gave me some kind of candle in a box which had greasy fingerprints on it...some people are so dumb! If you can't put thought into it then don't bother. I love to receive a card with kind words in it

I don't think parents should feel obliged to buy gifts as I understand that for some people things are tight. A nice card with meaningful words is enough to put a smile on my face.

Expansive...
    Today I have received 2 bottles of wine and a ton of chocolate!!! I don't drink but my DC parents are all funny and say "if I were you I would need a bottle at the end of the day!" and that makes me feel like they notice/appreciate all the hard work I do.

One DC parent (who already gave me huge box of goodies) said she ordered something online for me that is delayed so now will just be delivered to me..can't wait to see what it is!

Another parent paid me for my whole time off even though I only require payment for stats!! Woo hoo!

I may or may not have had something chocolatey for snack!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've been spoiled rotten this year! So far, for Christmas, I got a $50 gift card to our local mall, a $25 gift card for LCBO and a $35 gift card for Chapters. Aside from that, my clients have really come through for me in a huge way. I had to have surgery last week which was stressing me out beyond belief. I was so worried about taking a week off now as well as 2.5 weeks at the end of January to go to New Zealand. I was sure people would complain and I'd have to postpone my vacation. EVERY ONE of my clients said I would absolutely not postpone my vacation and I was to take as much time as I needed off for my recovery. When I came out of surgery and my head was clear enough to check my phone, there were multiple text messages from all of them checking to see if I was okay. Text messages every morning to check on me followed as well as deliveries of flower arrangements, gift baskets of coffees, chocolates, etc. Offers of help with groceries, cooking, etc came in. 2 clients came to visit me with the kids. I had to book 2 extra days off because the surgery was 3x longer than expected (I'm tuckered)....not one single complaint....not one! One client is even insisting on paying me for my entire time off! I just can't believe how well this has gone.

All I can say is 'Wow......just wow......' I'm completely taken aback, in a very good way

Expansive...
    OMG CFRED....sooo jealous you are going to NZ in January!!! I lived there for 9 years and miss it so much!!

So lovely that your families appreciate you so much and are genuinely good people!

Euphoric !
    I am indeed! I booked it ages ago to go and visit a good friend who had to move back. She was so sad to leave, so I emailed my ticket as a surprise to her. She has since planned 2.5 weeks of my life down to the second. She's very excited. If you're jealous now, wait till you hear this....it almost killed me. This friend and her hubby had 750, 000 airmiles that were about to expire a couple months back so they were offering free flights to NZ to all our friends. Of course, being a bit of a planner, I couldn't use them (kicked myself hard!!!) but another friend of ours took her up and is meeting us in Auckland the day after I get there. They ended up getting free flights for a crazy number of people. Where did you live there?

Yes, I'm feeling pretty lucky these days

Sorry for the little highjack there....done now.

Euphoric !
    So far I have received a Christmas card with a photo and a box of chocolates from another family. Having a bad day today so a little bitter and cranky! LOL

Euphoric !
    Cheer up mickyc....although, having said that, I know how much it pisses me off when people say that to me. Better advice - put on some cheesy Christmas videos for the kidlets to bide your time through the rest of the day. Once they're gone, park your butt in a comfortable chair accompanied by your chocolates and a nice glass of wine. Chocolate and wine can fix the worst of bad days

In the meantime, it must be almost nap time

Euphoric !
    lol. thanks cfred. I am tired, sick (on antibiotics), have a sore back, kids are behaving so bad today, lots of coughing and snotty noses, and to top it off it is too cold to go outside. I have worked my butt off this month doing all sorts of Christmas arts and crafts. Sending home parents gifts today as well as kids gifts. Barely take any time off during the year so as to not inconvenience anyone. Just feeling very unappreciated! I know it is just because I am not feeling that great but hard to hear about parent's having spa days and going to cuba in the next few months but all I get is a card and not even a nice note or anything in it.

OK I will quit venting lol. this was supposed to be a nice light thread!

On the flip side - I am glad there are some parents out there who truly appreciate their providers!

Euphoric !
    I haven't received anything this year. I am not expecting much lol. This group of parents is definitely my most frustrating thus far. My p/t girl has been with me for over a year and a half and she is the only one who I am thinking I will get a gift from as they gave one last year.

In the past I have received very nice gifts and very nice comments in cards which I love!! Actually, a previous dcm sent an email christmas card and said some very nice things and how they missed me and were thinking of me. THat meant a lot!!

funny story about regifting.....two years ago I got a candle set from a parent. I don't really use candles so I regifted it to my SIL last year. She didn't read who it was from so when she opened it she exclaimed to my MIL (her mom) "I gave this to you last year!!!" I immediately thought I goofed up and regifted something in the same circle!! After some discussion we realized that it wasn't the one she had given her mom LOL. My MIL is terrible for regifting which is why she assumed she did it. However, I felt like a tool cuz my SIL obviously knew I had regifted it. I'm regifting another dc gift this year so hopefully no one else has given this someone in the past LOL