Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello!

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar

Hello!

I am the mother of 2 young boys and also a daycare provider(subsidized ) in the province of quebec.
    I care for a total of 6 kids ages 2-5 and have been doing this for 2 years now
    I am so thrilled this forum is here! It is a great place to learn from each other, and grow !

Looking forward to meeting others

Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar
    Hello Sunflower !

First of all, welcome on our new forum; we hope you'll have a great time here! We're just a few users right now but it shouldn't be too long before we're submerged by hundreds of messages .

Out of curiosity, did you manage to fill all your daycare openings ? Did being subsidized help ? And, do you find it more stressful or restrictive to operate as a subsidized daycare provider (if you weren't before) ? I know, I'm asking too much questions

Thank you for your kind welcome!
    To answer your questions, yes , being subsidized had definitely made it easier to fill spot.
    I know because I started out as a private daycare and it took months to fill all my spots. After becoming subsidized ,I had a waiting list (very big demand in my area) .
    to be honest , nothing has really changed in my daycare since I became subsidized. Nothing except the paper work. now I have to fill out an extra 2 pieces of paper every 2 weeks lol.
    And the fact that I have to do a 45 hr course soon, But they give us 2 years to get that out of the way.
    Admin, Do you have a daycare?

Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar
    Thanks for your answers Sunflower ! It seems a lot of parents in Quebec don't know about or don't use the dedicated tax return that can (in certain circumstances) reduce a non-subsidized rate to the level of a subsidized one. Otherwise, I don't know how to explain the surge in demand when non-subsidized daycare providers become subsidized. Anyways, I'm glad your daycare is now full !

To answer your question, no, unfortunately, I do not have a daycare But, to talk a little bit about me, I'm currently a med student and I'm interested to go into pediatrics (*fingers crossed*) . Uh oh, I now foresee a lot of medical questions being asked on the forum... Please, keep in mind the "student" part in the last sentence .

Shy
    Hello Sunflower,

I am also a mother and daycare provider in Ontario. I am also excited about networking with other providers on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Thanks for your answers Sunflower ! It seems a lot of parents in Quebec don't know about or don't use the dedicated tax return that can (in certain circumstances) reduce a non-subsidized rate to the level of a subsidized one. Otherwise, I don't know how to explain the surge in demand when non-subsidized daycare providers become subsidized. Anyways, I'm glad your daycare is now full !

To answer your question, no, unfortunately, I do not have a daycare But, to talk a little bit about me, I'm currently a med student and I'm interested to go into pediatrics (*fingers crossed*) . Uh oh, I now foresee a lot of medical questions being asked on the forum... Please, keep in mind the "student" part in the last sentence .
    oh, you are correct. you are going to be bombarded with questions lol many from me! Good luck with your studies : )
    I completely agree that many parents are not informed when it comes to the dedicated tax return . Many don;t know about it, others think it is too much work and most don't know that it can reduce a non-subsidized rate to the level of a subsidized one. Parents are also now refunded on a monthly basis vs 3 months .
    When I was still a private daycare I tried to inform interested parents .But as soon as they found out my $25 /day fee they lost interest . ( there are many in my area that charge 15 or 20$ a day !!!)
    A few were also concerned that no one " checked in " on private day cares. I also tried to educate them when it came to this issue. There are wonderful day cares out there, private and subsidized. a parent must do their homework.
    But over all, I think looking for a daycare can be a very overwhelming ordeal for new parents !