Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    apples and bananas

"My child is toilet trained"...

Who else has received that dreaded email?

"dear provider, since johnny has been home for a few days I decided to toilet train him so he will be coming on Monday in underwear."

LOL

I have a basic policy that states "All children are required to wear pull ups until I am confident that they are showing initiation to go on their own.

Why doesn't anyone ready my policies?

ugh!

Happy New Year Everyone!

That's when you point blank tell the parent that they will be receiving an invoice for carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, etc. every single time that their child has a toileting accident. Then when they start to protest, hand them your policy with the highlighted section that states "All children are required to wear pull ups until your are confident that they are showing initiation to go on their own!"

That usually puts an end to that conversation.

Because we all know that little "Johnny" is so advanced that he's mastered potty training in a mere few days. Watch out next week he will be reciting the periodic Table of the Elements!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    NO NO NO NO!! You need to change your policy ASAP. I have ran into this problem before too. Parents don't have a clue what goes on at daycare. We do not have time to potty train like they do at home and I certainly don't have time to clean up floors and kids every time they have an accident just because the parents think they are trained. Also I have carpet and I do not appreciate kids peeing on the carpet. Here is what my portion on potty training states in my contract:

Potty Training:
    If you are toilet training your child and would like me to continue with it during the day I would ask that you send pull-ups to use in my home. Once the child has consistently had a dry pull-up and tells me when they need to use the washroom for 2 weeks we can try to transition to underwear. Please do not send your child in underwear until I have agreed to it (there are way more distractions at daycare than at home and it usually takes longer for them at daycare to become fully trained). I also do not have time to place your child on the potty every hour and wait, they need to be able to tell me when they need to go.

apples and bananas
    Great policy.

I have since sent an email advising/reminding of my policies and letting them know that the child will be required to arrive in pull ups and nap in pull ups.

The response was very much about how they hope we can work together, but still not bending on the underwear.

Here's my thing... I get that a child needs consistency. And quite honestly, I agree with them. If the child if fully in underwear (and this child apparently is doing nights too) then going back to pull ups can be confusing. But this is exactly why the parents need to work with me.

Because now they've put themselves in a position where they've convinced the child pull ups/diapers are yucky and I'm requiring him to wear them. Talk about putting me in an unfair position.

UGH!

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

I will, happily, loose a client over not respecting my rules.

Euphoric !
    I get that parents feel the need to potty train. I want them to be trained to but realistically there is a difference between training and fully trained. Pull-ups are for training and underwear are for kids fully trained. Some kids are faster and some kids take years. The one thing I am running into right now is my 19 month old thinking it is time to start training. It is time to start introducing the potty but not time to start training. A child who can't tell me she needs to go is too young IMO.

When I was training my own child we did pull-ups for daycare and panties/naked in the evenings and weekends. I understand a child will have accidents but a training child needs to wear training pants at my house - no exception. If they are fully trained then there will be no worries about the child going in the pull-up because they are trained right - and it will be dry. If the pull-up remains dry then it is time to start transitioning.

If I had flooring in my daycare space I wouldn't worry about it as much but with my space being carpet I can't have kids peeing all over the place.

Euphoric !
    I have a child that has been doing underwear only at home evenings and weekends except naps/bed for about a month but a pullup over the underwear at my house for daycare. Same as if you expected rubberpants over trainingpants which is what we used before the days of pullups. She was off all last week and went full days with just underwear and I allowed it when she came back on Monday but I also knew that she had had her two weeks of being dry at my house as we did the pullup over underwear thing.

Euphoric !
    I did plastic pants over the underwear ...and they had to be the thick waffle weave underwear not the cutsie diego/hello kitty underwear, and pullups/diapers for sleeping.