Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Breast Feeding In The Daycare

Good morning ladies! I hope that you all enjoyed or are enjoying you holidays! As some of you know I am due with my third little guy at the end of April. And as with my other two boys, I plan on breastfeeding. However, this will be the first time that I will have to breastfeed while running the daycare. I plan on reopening 2 weeks after my C-section. Does anyone have experience breastfeeding while running the daycare?

I guess my main concerns are having to occupy the little ones while breastfeeding and if I should be breastfeeding in front of them (discreetly of course) so I am still able to monitor them. Because if this monster is anything like my other 2 boys, he will be a hungry little guy

Expansive...
    My daughter was almost a year old when I opened my daycare, but I was still breastfeeding her on demand at that time. I just sat with the kids and let them free play while I was nursing. I didn't worry about being discreet, breastfeeding is a natural thing and once the kids got past their curiosity of it they didn't care - I had 1 and 3 year olds at the time. It was hard to be concerned with being discreet and taking care of the kids too, I had many times where I had to nurse and tend to another child at the same time. The only dck I was discreet around was the 6 year old boy I had for the summer.

I haven't nursed a child while I have had my daycare, but I see no issue for you doing so. The kids watch each other have diaper changes, go potty, get undressed/dressed for outdoor water/pool activities so if you are doing something as natural as breastfeeding they may not even notice or care. If you don't make a deal out of it, I don't think they would either though yes, I would be discreet around the older child.

Euphoric !
    You get very good at feeding while moving around. Some of the wraps and slings can help but if the baby is small you can do it one handed. Limit what the children have access to while you are feeding, it's a good time for tv/video while you sit on the couch and feed - that way kids are watching the tv not you too. Make use of gates so that you confine them to a smaller area while feeding. It is no different than having a baby in care that needs a bottle. As far as being discreet those under age 3 don't really care one way or the other. Older than that once baby is latched on less is visible anyways. I always put a blanket over baby anyways as it kept the noise level out and made them more relaxed for eating - nothing like a curious 8 month old turning their head to see what is going on and not letting go first - ouch. I did let the parents know I would be feeding, would use a cover and that precautions were in place to control activities available and also that I would be in the playroom at all times while feeding.

If necessary promise treats and bribes for cooperative behaviour - like they get a tv show after feeding if they behave. (which gives you time to put the baby back to bed, have a snack, etc. ready to start the next activity).

It becomes a part of the daycare routine and after a couple weeks you will work out a pattern of how and when and where and all that.

Expansive...
    learn to nurse in a baby carrier. My personal favorite was a ring sling. I was able to nurse mine in a ring sling and go about most of my daily life. I still loved the moments when I could sit down and snuggle her close.

Expansive...
    I find nursing while running the daycare very easy, sometimes my little guy has to wait a minute or two so that the group is sorted (for example, I would not leave to nurse in the middle of craft time, I would wait to start structured activities for after feedings), but it is easy to just plop down and nurse on the floor with the kids playing around me. I am also not discreet about nursing in front of the kids, and they don't care in the slightest...much easier this way!

Outgoing
    I opened my daycare when my youngest was 9 months old. At that time I had all 12 month olds and 1 6 year old boy B/A school. I ended up terming the SA for various reasons but none had to do with me breastfeeding.
    I did not cover up during the day around the other toddlers, they barely noticed actually.
    So much more convenient while sitting and reading books or sitting while the toddlers free played or I helped with puzzles etc to nurse than have to get up and heat a bottle. Heck I even nursed in my chair outside in our backyard while the kiddos played! A sling or carrier helps alot too!
    I am now pregnant with #5 and due in March and plan on doing the same thing again. Same kiddos just older now and I am sure they will all be fine. All are quite curious about the baby in my belly already!