Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing

Inclement weather policy

What is your inclement weather policy?

My current policy is that if schools are closed so am I.

I am thinking about making these paid days since I can not control the weather...thoughts?

Euphoric !
    If it is cold we don't go outside. I don't close even if schools are closed. We haven't been out too many days this winter. If it is -20 with the wind chill we stay in. Most parents still have work no matter how cold it is.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Since I don't do school age kids I'm open everyday and everyday is paid regardless of attendance. I used to do school
    Age and on days when school was out due to breaks (Christmas, march break, summer) and when the busses weren't running or pa days then they had to pay my full day rate instead of my b/a rate unless prearranged at contract signing that the child wouldn't be attending other them school days. I can't operate a viable business with school agers so I cut them out totally.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have no school aged children so school closures do not affect me.

Most parents still have to go in to work so therefore I am open. I don't go out when it's this cold so staying warm in the house is no issue for me! Working from home in this kind of weather is just another reason I love my job I am getting tired of inside days though!!!

If I did close, I am not sure if I would charge or not. I am leaning towards no but that is just me.

Outgoing
    Mickyc- Thanks! I am not talking about cold-I never close based on temperature. I am talking about ice storms, snow storms and so on.

Outgoing
    I don't have school age children, I just find it is usually a good guide. Again, I am not talking about regular winter weather here. Like we recently has some severe ice storms the power was on and off for 4 days-in that case, no I wouldn't want to be responsible for 5 children. The problem is my parents don't work locally so inclement weather can mean difficulty with pick up or in the case of a power outage more time before pick up. Does this make sense?

Euphoric !
    I don't think I would close but would take precautions when that sort of weather starts up. I would also make sure parents are aware that if my power goes out, pick up would need to be immediate, just like if their child was sick and needed to go home.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well parents still have to go to work even in inclement weather so I couldn't imagine closing and if the power went out well its not that big of a deal now if the power was out for several days then that would be a different story but we do have a generator for emergencies. However my husband would only fire it up after about 4 hours of no power to run the furnace and the well and the fridge. But I would not close just because the busses are not running.

Euphoric !
    We just carry on as normal. I do remind parents to leave work as early as possible if weather gets worse because my late policy will apply - ie if you are silly enough to drive to work in this weather then you need to be prepared to leave work early to get here on time.

Would have to be extended disruption for me to close ie if power goes out we go to battery operated lights and flashlights. I let parents know and then get ready for the temperature in the house to start falling - ie find extra blankets, add sweaters to the kids as needed. Really do not see the need to close because the weather outside is yukky. I just thank my lucky stars I don't need to go out in it and pray for the safety of those that do.

I don't do school age kids but when I did then if the buses were cancelled so was walking the kids to school. If a parent took their child to school I did not go to get them at the end of the day and it was the parent's responsibility. Children here were charged for a full day of care even though they were here because I didn't want to take the gang out.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would imagine if the power was out then most parents wouldn't be going to work and would keep their child at home? I am open no matter what the weather - cold, storming, raining etc. If the weather is that bad then I would hope a parent would not be at work and would come pick up their child anyways.

I have had daycare while the power was out (I am in the basement). We just pull out the glow sticks and flashlights and have fun. If it was a matter of power being out for a few days then obviously I would close but I wouldn't charge parents for it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: