Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do??

What to do??

I'm hoping some of you wonderful providers on this board can tell me what you might do or have done if you've gone through this yourselves.

My father is not doing very well. He's in hospital now and he is battling a multitude of health issues. At this point, in the near future he will be most likely going into hospice/pallative care. I'm an emotional wreck, but aside from that I know I will need to be with my father in the days/weeks when it gets close to his time.

My first priority is to my family, however, I don't want to leave my clients in a bind and not knowing when I'll need time off, etc.

Has anyone hired an assistant (I have my SIL now but she is going back to school in January). Where do I go about looking for one and only one for certain days or a week, etc? This may not happen for months but I need to be prepared. I cannot afford to lose my business by taking days and weeks off here and there to be with him, and don't want to put stress on my clients.

What to do??

First off, I am sorry your father is so ill. I wish you and your family well as you go through this difficult and emotional time.
    I have not had to hire an assistant but I think it is a great idea. Why not put an ad in your local paper for a flexible mature person with proven experience with young children in a professional setting. I would also explain to your clients the situation and how you are adjusting your business so that you can accommodate your family obligations and your business obligations.
    Good luck.

Thank you mimi for your kind words of support. I never even thought of hiring a mature person (retired/semi retired). This is a great suggestion. My head is in such a fog right now

i WAS the hired help for a while, and i loved it.
    i was paid cash under the table, so it was about the same that i would have gotten working for a regular daycare, but with a LOT less stress. 5 kids instead of 16 or 24.

and no one to eagle over me, and i got to rule the roost and structure everything.

i also wanted to, someday in the future, open my own home daycare, and working in one was great training, until i could afford the most expensive aspect of doing so... a house. (which i have bought! and daycare opened! go me!)

i have a diploma and a bachelors of ECE, as well as my OCT, so i'm not even just a bum off the street!

i just wanted a daycare job where i could do the daycare thing, hug and cuddle the kids all i wanted, not have a crazy boss who yelled at me for sneeking extra snacks to the hungry kids, and LIKE my job.

i found my job off kijiji, (or maybe it was craig's list) but you might want to think of advertising at the colleges that do ECE courses? when i was in school, i arranged my schedule so i only went to school 3 and a half days a week and took a part time job for the other 2.

a lot of students would love to have daycare experience, and since it's a home daycare, they get the experience without the problem that they don't have their full ECE certs yet, and then you have someone who might want to take over more hours during summer, holidays, or next year after they graduate!