Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Question Parents that ask for special discounts... How do you feel about them?

So I had someone recently ask me how much I would charge for her there kids. 8,5,3 for three days a week in the summer. For 6 hours 9-3.. I told her I charge 32/day/per child.

She then says you don't offer sibling discounts for families with more then one child. She then gives me example prices from anther daycare. I said no sorry but I do give receipts ..

I understand daycare can be a little pricey for families with more the one child. But why would I I charge 55 for three children.

They would be there from 9-3.. They'd be there for our two snacks lunch and craft time. It would cost me just to feed them and do the craft with them not to mention taking up three of my spaces..

Some people, I think everyone should charge what they are worth and settle, this time around as I'm selecting new clients I am picking people pickely lol if that's even a word..

Like one of my moms said to me the other week, why wouldn't I pay you, your taking care of my most treasured possession I have. Wish all parents were like that!

Shy
    I agree. Any time someone asks me about discounts I just say that ALL children receive the same level of quality care so all children are charged accordingly.

SHE has 3 children to pay for NOT you so why do parents of multiple kids seem to think it's the provider's responsibility to make up for her choices/needs?

When families with more than one kid leave your care, then it's more than one spot to fill too and that's a pain in the butt sometimes so I usually dread families with multiple kids.

I only have a certain number of spaces and I can't make my financial ends meet if I discount any of those spaces.

Expansive...
    Yep I have to agree that as parents you have to take responsibility for your choices and if having three kids was your choice fine, but don't make EVERYONE ELSE pay for it. You would think that after having just one child ppl would realize that daycare is expensive so therefore would plan accordingly for the next ones. I think the only time I feel kinda bad is when parents have twins because they really have no control over that and putting them both in daycare can be so costly. However for US the cost to provide care does not magically go down because some of the kids are related! So sorry, no discount.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMomma View Post
    So I had someone recently ask me how much I would charge for her there kids. 8,5,3 for three days a week in the summer. For 6 hours 9-3.. I told her I charge 32/day/per child.

She then says you don't offer sibling discounts for families with more then one child. She then gives me example prices from anther daycare. I said no sorry but I do give receipts ..

I understand daycare can be a little pricey for families with more the one child. But why would I I charge 55 for three children.

They would be there from 9-3.. They'd be there for our two snacks lunch and craft time. It would cost me just to feed them and do the craft with them not to mention taking up three of my spaces..

Some people, I think everyone should charge what they are worth and settle, this time around as I'm selecting new clients I am picking people pickely lol if that's even a word..

Like one of my moms said to me the other week, why wouldn't I pay you, your taking care of my most treasured possession I have. Wish all parents were like that!
    If this mom has told you another daycare offered her $55\day for 3 kids you should tell her that she should probably go with that daycare then as you aren't able to discount your spots

Euphoric !
    I know of 2 friends who have/had offered discounts for families. I'm not sure why but it worked for them. I personally don't offer a discount, like others have said it wasn't my choice for them to have multiple kids so why should I pay for it?

Starting to feel at home...
    Whether from 1 family or 3 families they pay for the spot not the child, I know many providers that charge full time rates ALWAYS so they would be lucky to have you at the proposed rate. Or they could get a teen in their own home which would probably be better than trying to nickel and dime you to death

Outgoing
    I used to discount for friends, but no more! They pay what everyone else pays. Their kids don't get treated/cared for any differently, so why should my rates affect that.

At some point we are all going to get asked for discounts or special rates. Those are the types that eventually will 'forget' payment, pay late, want special treatment and disrespect your policies etc. Forget that, i can't be bothered. I hate when people ask me that.

I think when a parent of multiple children ask about discounts they don't intend to insult you or be rude, so don't take it personally. They are just consumed in their own lives and trying to make ends meet. Yes it was their decision to have children and this is something they should have factored in when planning, although we all know accidents happen, and multiples happen when we always just assume on a single child. Also, we don't have the first clue as to their financial situation. Perhaps they are recently divorced or widowed or are working a minimum wage job and trying to avoid foreclosure. I appreciate having come across my own fair share of moronic parents over the last 8 years that some people are rude and inconsiderate, but don't people deserve some compassion and to be given the benefit of the doubt especially when we don't know what it is like to be in their shoes? Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe this parent having already been offered discounts from others just assumes it is okay to ask if dcp's offer it? It is okay to ask, if I were in her shoes I would politely ask if you offered a discount. The answer is no and that's fine, but why not take a minute to explain the reasoning to this parent who clearly has no idea how our availability works. It is not our job to offer a discount to help others, but instead to inform parents out there of how things actually work rather than criticize and resent those for simply asking the question. Just my honest opinion ladies...
    Last edited by bright sparks; 01-09-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I completely agree with you Bright Sparks. If a parent asked me, I would say no and explain why. I actually changed my contract to say that any new children, whether pt or ft, pay ft prices so I have already had to explain that. In my daycare, you are paying for the spot not the hours used.

However, I have given a reduced price before but it had a time limit on it. I likely wouldn't do that now unless I was hard up to fill the spot and that was my only choice

Starting to feel at home...
    Yup. I completely agree with Bright Sparks. 100%

From time to time I offer sibling discounts. It depends on how hard of a time I am filling the spot. The main problem with my area is that 99% of the people need before and after school care. So if I can snag a full timer with a school age sibling, I am going to try!