Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Argh...they're all awake!

I was closed the last two days due to illness (mine and my daughters) first day back and none of the kids are sleeping. My youngest dd is awake (she slept for 40 mins is usually a good sleeper), my 4 y o is laying in her bed, not issues there, my dcks are all awake, two are crying. Since no one is sleeping and I am not getting a break anyways I am tempted to just get them all up and move on with our day but I really need to sleep train my 2 new kids properly. Argh.

Euphoric !
    I love your title....immediately "RUN while you still can" went through my head

If they are still crying after 30 mins or so, I would get them up too. It sucks but like you said, listening to them cry isn't a break anyways. Usually, I just go in and lay them back down, put the blanket on them, make sure they have their soother/stuffy if they have one and say a firm "good night"......if this doesn't work after 3x I usually get them up. Thankfully it's only happened maybe twice in two years that I had to do that.

Euphoric !
    I leave them for the duration of nap time ....the sooner they learn that crying doesn't get them anywhere the sooner I enjoy my break.....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    after 1.5 hrs of babbling to herself, my daughter only fell asleep at 2:30. 3pm wake up is going to be brutal. We have to do 3pm wake up because my son's bus comes at 3.25. She is going to be one miserable child

ditto Crayola. Going in and out multiple times is ridiculous and doesn't train them. It only trains you as they are getting their own way and controlling you. Turn the music up, or tv to try and drown the crying out. If you leave them it will probably be a better naptime tomorrow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree, I leave them for the whole nap, always and I usually get a good nap time 2-2.5hrs. It is just frustrating when you are sick, the kids are sick and they aren't sleeping so it's just a miserable scream fest. I think I was just feeling "screw it," as not a single one was sleeping what was the point and I felt pretty lousy as I needed a break.

Expansive...
    YOur title just made me smile -- been there and done that. I know exactly what you are feeling. TGIF !!!

Never ever go back in - then they will always cry and see if it brings you or if they can get up early.

I would leave them because the sooner they learn the nap times the better for everyone.

I sometimes will go get the brood 30 minutes earlier or so but never would I not try to stick out at least an hour.

Good luck and I hope your afternoon gets better