Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

15 kids in a day home

I just spoke to a lady about her day home, to get some ideas, suggestions....you know research.
    Anyways she is running a day home/preschool that has anywhere from 10-15 kids with 3 staff. I asked how she was able to do this, she said because she is private, I said I believed the ratio was 7:1 (I am from Alberta) regardless of # of staff. She said its private, kinda under the table, and parents haven't complained.
    I am sort of in disbelief. This is illegal right?

Euphoric !
    Yep....totally illegal. You're a much bigger person than me if you don't report them. I'd be on that in a nano second. It's people like her who give all of us a bad name.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    Absolutely illegal!!! I wouldn't hesitate to report her either....just like cfred said, it's providers like her that are giving us a bad name. I actually cannot believe that she was so honest with you!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    So there are 4 adults for 15 kids?

For myself I wouldn't say anything. If it was 1 adult with 15 kids then YES but 3-4 kids per adult doesn't seem bad to me. I would just leave it alone if it was me.

Illegal is illegal, I believe by staying quiet, we are part of the problem. I am pretty sure the legal numbers in Alberta are also 6:1 in a home daycare not 7:1. Think back to the incident in Vaughan. I know its a different scenario and they had been reported on numerous occasions although I don't think it was for numbers but other reasons. Had someone reported them for being over their numbers maybe just maybe the tragedy that occurred could have been avoided. For those who would keep quiet, I hope to never see a comment about accountability on here from you again, where when someone blames us providers for negligence, so many providers on here take a defence stance and start saying that parent's play a roll in being responsible for their child's safety also. EVERYONE plays a part. If you know negligence is occurring, you have to speak up otherwise when something goes wrong, you might have to live with the guilt of being part of the cause of a child's suffering. It is as simple as calling and reporting them anonymously. The local authority then have the ball in their court and you just did the honest and honourable thing by alerting the authorities in the best interests of the children. As a community we should feel obliged to do this. On top of all that, there is no way in the world this provider is insured WTF!?!

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you for your feedback.
    I would ask thought that some of you slow down and not make assumptions when reading posts. I never said I was going to, "stay quiet" and not report her. All I asked was if it was legal. I understand that this is a touchy subject but rather then jump on someone perhaps you could offer me help or subjection and not assume the worst. We're all in this together.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Thank you for your feedback.
    I would ask thought that some of you slow down and not make assumptions when reading posts. I never said I was going to, "stay quiet" and not report her. All I asked was if it was legal. I understand that this is a touchy subject but rather then jump on someone perhaps you could offer me help or subjection and not assume the worst. We're all in this together.
    Jenny the only person that said they wouldn't report was mickeyc and I believe that's who bright sparks directed her comment at. The other posters said yes its illegal and they would report her.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Crayola really said it for me, ty. I also wasn't jumping on anyones back, even mickeyc's back. It isn't a personal vendetta I have against anyone lol I just really wanted to be clear on my stance on the subject. Also as you are researching daycare in your province, you would have already known it wasn't legal.

Expansive...
    My first thought when I hear about these kinds of things is that they obviously do not have proper insurance. Also that from my experience parents don't necessarily know the laws and regulations regarding home daycare and that they really wouldn't be "okay with it" if they knew the possible consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    Also that from my experience parents don't necessarily know the laws and regulations regarding home daycare and that they really wouldn't be "okay with it" if they knew the possible consequences.
    I get what you are saying about them not knowing but it is their duty to get well informed. The information is available at their finger tips. It's as simple as googling "Home Daycare Laws and Regulations for said province."