Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

When one child injures another

What do you do when one child injures another and it's more than just a hit, sctratch etc? Like for example it results in blood, bruising/swelling? Longer time out? Call both sets of parents? My daughter (3yo) got hit in the face with a toy (a toy computer) by another child. She cried a lot, poor kid. Her nose and the area beside her nose (sinus?) are a little swollen and turning purple. She keeps saying it hurts. i put some ice on it for a few minutes but thats all she would let me do. She is ok- I don't think it needs medical attention.

I put the child who hurt her (3.5 yrs old) on a time out. I left her on time out for the time i was tending to my daughter, about 10-15 minutes. That's longer than usual, usually its about 5 minutes, but i since i was icing my kid's face, i couldn't get back to her at the 5 minute mark. I figured she would be fine, since i could see her the whole time. Thoughts?

Expansive...
    A child at 3.5 years old is more than old enough to know not to hit with toys like that.

From my behavior management policy, which is kept posted and parents sign off on it:

Any abusive, violent or aggressive behaviour that endangers the child, other children, the child care provider, equipment or building will not be tolerated. After the first offence the family will be notified immediately. In extreme cases (such as physical violence and/or hitting) or after the 2nd offence, the child will be suspended for 3 days. In the event of the 3rd occurrence, the child will be suspended permanently without prior warning being given.
    Last edited by AmandaKDT; 01-14-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: auto correct is driving me CRAZY!

Expansive...
    I would have done the same thing in regards to time out, they can sit there while the other child is tended to.

Absolutely! I would have done the same while I tended to the hurt child (in this case, your own!).