Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Claiming amount of food cost

can anyone tell me the amount you can claim for food cost per child?
    I cant find it posted anywhere on the CRA website and can not get through on their phone line as it is tax time.

Outgoing
    I have 4 (soon to be 5) kiddos of my own. I also have 4 full time and I part time daycare kiddos. We ALL eat basically the same foods. I serve alot of our dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. What I was told by my tax person was that I could claim 50% of my groceries that are being used for BOTH.

There is a thread for this from yesterday. I have spoken to my accountant who said you should claim what it costs. If you can back it up with receipts then there should be no issue. I have a meal plan so I attach my receipts to that for record keeping incase I get audited and they actually question whether or not I fed the kids this food.

Euphoric !
    There isn't a set amount that you can claim. Everybody will be different based on what kinds of foods they serve, where they shop, etc. It was recommended to me that we should cost it out so we have the proof of where we got the amount in case of audit. I took two of my weekly menus and costed out everything on them and used the amount per child that I finally came up with. Last year, that was $6 per child. This year it will likely be $7 or $8 as I have started serving some organic foods and my food cost has gone up. Some people on this forum said they only spend a couple of dollars per day per child...so if that is the case, that is what they should claim. You have to back-up your claim with reciepts. You can't just pull a number from the air and claim it.