Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Hello from a minority person ;-)

I'm Caucasian and my main language is English, but I'm male and I have a feeling that is probably a minority here, but hey, women make good firefighters and police, so why can't men run a daycare business. That's what I plan to do in a few months.

I checked out the forum and I look forward to joining in. Deciding on a username was easy. I had a feeling Mike was available. At most forums, I would have to use Mike63 or something like that, but most of you are women and I don't think too many women have the name Mike or Michael.

Time for bed now, but I'll be back tomorrow to ask some questions, and maybe even answer some.

Euphoric !
    Hello Mike....and yep, you're it so far as men go. Of course, this IS the internet, so one never knows I have to ask....did you get your ECE? I had a couple men in my ECE program in college, which I thought was fantastic! How far into the process are you with your set up? How do you suppose a male in the business will be received? I think it's great and I abhor gender stereotyping! I'm hoping everyone else does too and you have great success and enjoy your new venture.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I actually have a male provider in my area .... He's been doing it awhile now and he figures he only has a few years left before he's viewed as " the old creepy guy" but I know a lot of families that attend his daycare ..... I think it's great .... Also when I was updating my CPR there was one man present and he was a provider. Good luck to you!!! I look forward to hearing your views on things

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I look forward to hearing your views and opinions as well!! I had one male in my college ECE classes and I have worked with a handful of men in centres, but we usually only had 1-2 male on staff at a time. (not for any reason other than that is just how it worked out!) The kids always LOVED when their teacher was the male, especially the older kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Welcome Mike, and I echo what the others have said. It is nice to slowly see more males entering this predominantly female field, whether it be home daycare or within schools/daycare centres. I think men have a way with kids that women just don't possess typically. They tend to be able to be more playful and imaginative, at least in my experience. I wish you well!
    “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”

― Angela Schwindt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimangeline For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the warm welcomes and good vibes.

I've been in the business world most of my life, so that end of things is routine to me. I've done research to decide if it would be a viable business idea or not and right now I'm searching cities to get an idea of where there is the greatest need. The closest city to me is Brockville and there is no need there, plus, I spent most of my life here and want to get a fresh start, so figure out where there is a need and that's where I will go. So far, Kingston looks like a good possibility.

I didn't take any ECE courses, might later. I will be going for Infant/Child CPR at St Johns in a few weeks, and getting my police papers. I don't have any children of my own, but have had many in my life, including being in charge of a Sunday School bus and occasional driver for a couple years. Normally, someone else drove while I did the door knocking and kept the children under control on the bus. They liked me and listened to me so well that when our driver was away, I drove without a helper and had no problems.

I first thought about daycare a few years ago, but at that time, the idea of male daycare was absurd, and it didn't look like a good idea at the time, but things changed. What made me make this decision was 16 months ago. I have a single cousin with 5 children who I helped out now and then. Once in a while her sister, a friend of hers, and myself, would give her a break by taking the children for a few hours, or sometimes a day or 2. She has 3 boys and 2 girls. Her friend has 2 sons, and one day wanted to know if she could take the 3 boys with her 2 and go camping for a week. She loved the idea, but that still left her with her 2 girls. Her sister took them for 2 days, but that was enough for her. I took a few days off work and took them for the next 5 days. That 5 days was probably the happiest time of my life because it was the closest I will ever come to being a dad. For the next few weeks I couldn't stop thinking about it and realised that I would rather be watching children than running a business and working, so watching children will be my new business.

I knew there would be some complications, but I started planning and preparing for my new business then. Now I'm just about ready to relocate and launch. Plans are to be open before summer holidays because I know there is a higher demand when full time summer care comes up. That means better chance of someone taking a chance with me, and I know that once someone tries me out, they will stay.

Not saying anything against moms doing daycare, but being single and no children means I can focus 100% on my clients children. I've had many children in my life and got along great with every one, and I love getting down to a child's level to play with them, and also have the ability to be the adult when needed, so I know that as long as I can get a start, business will succeed.

Euphoric !
    Mike, sounds like you have thought about this and really want to do it for the right reasons. I hope that you are able to fill your spots and enjoy this new adventure!!

I also have no children of my own and that is one thing that almost all of the parents I interview comment on. They say that shows them that I am doing this because I want too and enjoy kids and am not just doing it to stay home with my own children. However, they don't know that one of the reasons for opening my hdc was in fact, so that I could stay home with our own children if ever do have them

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    However, they don't know that one of the reasons for opening my hdc was in fact, so that I could stay home with our own children if ever do have them
    Good luck in that area.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:

Maybe in time, people will start to realise that males can care for children too. Most do have fathers, right. lol Most of them do a great job.
    Last edited by Mike; 01-16-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: tiny spelling error

Good luck Mike! I think this industry would benefit from having more male providers. Maybe we would get more respect............t hat is sad to say, but unfortunately true.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post: