Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

When quiet time is anything but

I have 2 3.5 yr old boys (one is mine). One only comes 2 days a week, but when they are both together, they are impossible to keep quiet. I usually put a movie on for them in my bedroom since it's the only room in the house with a DVD player, and that also gives me the entire main floor to do my own thing and get a break. I'm up and down constantly as they get louder and louder.

Even when DCB isn't here, my son is still in and out of my room numerous times for various reasons.

Today, I stayed up here with them to supervise, but I feel like I haven't gotten a break.

Should I separate them and make DCB stay downstairs with me on the couch? That isn't ideal as the whole house is open concept, and sound travels way too well.

Euphoric !
    Be firm! If they are noisy the TV is off and then they nap. Simple as that.

My daughter is almost 4. She hasn't been napping for almost a year. She stays upstairs and watches TV the whole time at nap. If she runs around and makes noise the TV is off and she must lay in her bed. Needless to say she learned very quickly mom meant business.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks micky! The problem is that I don't actually want him to nap (he is HORRIBLE when he wakes up, then doesn't go to bed)...but maybe a few days of laying down the law will be enough.

Euphoric !
    Yes. They know you don't want them to nap. My daughter hates having to nap so that is a good tool to use as discipline.

Euphoric !
    Are they being loud because they are bored? Watching tv for the whole nap time can be boring for some kids as some kids don't watch a lot of tv at home. I have a 4 year old girl who doesn't nap most days but she lays down for 30 mins and then I allow her to get up and she comes upstairs with me. I put the cartoons on but she is allowed to read, do puzzles or play with the few toys I keep in my living room. Sometimes I bring out workbooks or colouring books for her to do as well.