Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unannounced visit

Hi Ladies,

So I've been running my hdc for awhile now (in Markham). Yesterday afternoon, I had a rep from the ministry come to my home and ask to see my daycare. I allowed her to come inside and showed her the daycare area and introduced the kids. She said that they are making an effort to inspect as many home daycares in the area. I received a letter stating that I'm in compliance and not over ratio etc from them once the visit was done. So here's my question, she walked through my ENTIRE home upstairs which btw has NOTHING to do with my daycare area. I allowed her to look wherever she needed to as I have nothing to hide, but still...Is this ok? She also sent me an email requesting the parents contact info. Has anyone had visits from them and if so, is this ok what she did? thanks in advance!
    Last edited by espresso33; 01-17-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Sp.

Outgoing

Yikes!

That must have been scary. Sounds like it went well :-)
    I don't know about her looking at your entire house. Did she ask about your daycare space that you use? I may have said that I don't use certain areas for the daycare but honestly I don't know what the rules would be.
    Personally, I don't answer my door at all during the day unless I have received notice of someone on their way. Its a safety issue for me as I am home alone. Wonder what would have happened if you didn't answer your door, you werent home or weren't able to get to the door for whatever reason.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks Sassygirl. Yes, I was very surprised when she showed up at my door! I did show her the daycare area and said the rest of the house isn't used at all for daycare. She still asked to take a quick look everywhere regardless, which I allowed her to do. I too wonder what would happen had I not opened my door...like I said I have nothing to hide, but I felt kind of violated, as I have never dealt with the ministry before. And she has requested the parents contact info too. Not certain why or if I am obligated to provide this information. This is my place of home as well as business, but I wonder what are our rights regarding privacy??

Did she show proper identification? I too do not open my door during the day. I have no problem with an inspection, however, I will only show the space I claim as daycare space (square footage for tax purposes) to the inspector. My personal space is that and unless there is a fire raging in my bedroom and she has a bucket of water, they are not viewing it.

Also, since I am not a registered business with the ministry or government I would hesitate to give out client information unless I had their permission. Seems like a bit of an ambush.
    Last edited by mimi; 01-17-2014 at 10:17 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    wait- Espresso33- are you with an agency? Was this your once-a-month visit as all home daycare agencies require? Or are you private? If you are a private home daycare, how did this rep from the ministry know you were a daycare provider?

If that's the case- it makes me very weary that a rep from the ministry can show up at any time....

Outgoing
    i don't open the door to anyone that i am not expecting anymore. I hate door to door type people (Ie- water heater upgrades, lawn maintenance) so i have a 'no solicitation' sign on my glass porch door. I also lock the porch door so no one can ring my bell. Plus it's for extra protection because i have been hearing about some sketchy people in my neighbourhood, so i am being vigilant

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

No I'm not with an agency, and never have been! She did show proper identification, and I confirmed it as soon as she left. Not sure how she would know I run a home daycare, Lillywildcat. There's tons of home daycares in my neighbourhood and tons of competition amongst home daycare providers here...maybe another provider is falsely reporting nearby hdc? On the ministry website it states that "Unlicensed child care providers are not monitored by the Ministry of Education. However, regional staff will investigate complaints from the public about a person who may be providing care to more than five unrelated children without a licence." I've always been at ratio with 5 children or less. So no clue! I'm really just bothered that she asked to go through my home even after I told her it has nothing to do with my daycare space.

Starting to feel at home...
    I was going to ask the same thing. How did she know that you run a daycare? Unless, of course that you were reported. My hubby tells me all of the time, do NOT open the door for anyone when I am by myself (other then expected daycare parents). Not only due to safety, but, who has time to talk to annoying water people when you have daycare in progress?! I wonder what would of happened if you had told her that you are quite busy with the children at the moment and if she could come back a little later/another time?

As for her checking out your personal space, I do not see how that is relevant in anyway as to how you run/keep your daycare.

Euphoric !
    She would have wanted to check the rest of your home to see if you have additional kids stashed in another room in your home. I think one of the dc's in the media had a separate group of kids watching a movie in another place in the home. I would still say no though. It is my home, come back with a warrant.

Expansive...
    Not that you have anything to hide, but you had no obligation to let them in at all, let alone show non-daycare areas. Also, you don't have to provide the parent info either if you don't want to. Actually, I would think getting permission from the parents before doing so would be a good idea.

If you a private daycare, unlicensed and not with an agency, then your home is considered a private residence and you choose who you allow to enter.