Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Winter Walking

Starting to feel at home...

Winter Walking

Alrighty. Here is my situation. And I am sorry that it is an essay

Currently, the youngest in my care is my own 2 year old. After that, it is a 3.5 year old. After we drop off our bus students, we walk over our public school students. There is a pathway that connects the bus stop to the public school, and it is about a 10 minute walk with the kiddies. It worked out perfectly, in the morning, I drop off bus kids first, then walk to the school. In the afternoon, we have less time so I pick up the public school kids and then jet over to the bus stop.

However, during the winter, my first winter in this small town, it seems that the city refuses to plow the pathway. Which left me with 2 options. Cut across the soccer field or take the LONG way and follow the sidewalks. Thus far, I have been cutting around the icy, snowy soccer field because it guarantees that I will make it back for the bus. Even though it meant that my 6 month pregnant self have to carry my 2 year old when he gets tired, or it is to slippery.

Which was fine until now. I have a 13 month old starting the beginning of February. Which means that there will still be lots of snow. My question is, what do I do?? I think that I should get a backpack carrier and put the 13 month in there and continue to take the short cut. My husband does not agree and says that it is too risky. He says take the double stroller and speed walk it back (the long way) to the bus for pick up. I am just afraid that I will miss the bus. However, the childrens mother said that on days that I may be running late and the boys are suppose to come to my house after school, they have her permission to get off of the bus at the stop and walk the 5 houses down and wait at my door for the 5 minutes. I do not feel comfortable with having the brothers walking without me (8 and 5).

Ugh! Why cant the city just clear the walk way?!

I don't see a problem with the backpack carrier. Safer than speed walking. Even the good sidewalks can have ice patches, and rushing is not a good idea. The boys walking to your house is a good backup in case you don't get to the bus on time, unless that area is not very safe. If you're only a couple minutes late, you can probably see them getting off the bus anyway, and if you're close enough, they just wait for you there. The main risk to them going to your place alone is if something happens to you, or one of the other children, on your way to the bus stop, they could end up being at your place alone for a while. I'd worry about making some kind of backup plan for that, maybe a neighbor you could call last minute.

Euphoric !
    I'm not sure as a mom I would want my caregiver hoofing it across an icy field carrying my daughter because she would get crushed if you fell.

How close to your home/bus stop would you see the boys if they got off ahead of you. Enough they would wait for you to catch up or that you could see them coming to your house as you came up the street the other way.

Would it be possible to get a wagon with wider wheels and drag it through the pathway. I know it would be slower going but still faster than walking around. Also when your own baby comes you would need more than the double stroller anyways.

I am fine with the pathway. It is more or less my 2 year old that has trouble staying up at times. If the carrier is the way that I decide to go, then I would run it by the mother.

If the walk is going to take as long as I feel that it will with the busyness of all of the children leaving school, I think that I will see them just as they approach my house. Again, this all depends on if the kids get out of school on time, the weather ect.

It would be impossible to pull a way on what is suppose to be a path. On Friday, the snow was to my knee at some spots. Why would I need more then a double when my baby comes?

Would it be possible to hire a grade 8 student to walk the school kids to your home after school and wait there for you with them? Then you could meet the bus? Or the other way around? Or how about a sled for the snowy days?School runs can be so stressful!!!

Expansive...
    I don't know, I have an 8 year old dcg that walks alone to the bus stop every morning by herself. I also have a 5 year old that will be starting next month and the only way I would take her is if the mom agreed to let her walk alone with the other girl. It is too hard to get all those kids out to the bus stop twice a day, especially with the cold and snow. I think once the kids get used to the routine of what to do, an 8 year old is old enough to handle it. If the mom gives permission for them to wait for you, then I would see it as a relief that I didn't have to worry about killing myself getting to the bus stop on time.

I am trying to imagine you dragging along a 2 year old with a 1 year old strapped on your back and being pregnant all at the same time - I think you need to do what is easiest for your body, you don't want to over do it. Are you going to be able to handle that when you are 7, 8, 9 months pregnant?

Euphoric !
    I thought you were going to have your 2 year old and a new 13 month old and then eventually your own. Then again it will be Spring by then so the path will be at least melted into a puddle.

Euphoric !
    Is there any chance there is a bus stop that the bus the boys are on goes closer to the school and you could arrange to use a different stop as in go to the school to get the younger ones and then go to the other bus stop to meet the older kids and then all walk home to your house.

Usually there isn't a problem changing the bus stop where the kids get off as long as it is on the same bus.

Euphoric !
    I think letting the boys walk to your house is fine. If the mother and you both agree that they are mature enough to do so, I think it's a good idea. They have to learn how to do this eventually and it's a good baby step.

Shy
    I was going to suggest what Daisy123 did, instead of a wagon, get a sleigh. It would be easier than carrying the youngest (especially with you being pregnant) and you could even put your 2 yr old in it if/when he gets tired when crossing the soccer field. You could even put the rope around you (under your belly) so you aren't really pulling it with your arms if they get tired. And I'm sure the two youngest would love the ride. You can even put blankets down to help keep them warm on colder days.