Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Terminating the Screamer

I have a 17-month old screamer currently, who I've honestly had enough of. She SHRIEKS all day long, especially whenever she's strapped in to anything- high chair, stroller, etc. The other kids basically walk around with their hands over their ears all day. She's also extremely aggressive, constantly hitting other babies, grabbing toys, pushing and shoving, and last week slapping her 3-year-old sister right in the face. Parents have no discipline and frankly just don't seem to care. Dad does pick up/drop offs and whenever I bring up this behaviour, which is almost every day, he makes a halfhearted 'oh, sorry' and literally runs out the door before I can get more out. I tried to give 2 weeks notice on Friday, and as I was about 3/4 through my speech, he started walking out the door while I was talking, mumbled something about 'sorry it was so loud today' and left while I was still speaking. He knew what was coming, and I think was just trying to avoid it in the hopes that I would lose my nerve. In my opinion, he's lost his right to a face to face conversation. Would it be a cop-out to send them an email giving notice? They're not interested in working with me to fix this, and I can't handle another ten hour day of screaming in my face. Should I try to talk to them again? Or just email and be done with it?

Euphoric !
    I think in this case, an email would be fine. You tried to talk to him in person and he left while you were talking......extreme ly rude and disrespectful!

I would mention in the email how you tried to give notice in person.

Euphoric !
    I think an email is fine but it would have been better if you had done it Friday night with the idea of saying how he walked out before you could finish talking and so you are sending the rest of the conversation by email.

At the same time you can still do it by email using the same reasoning that pickups are too quick and not a good time for having a "complete" conversation so you are doing it by email. If you have the email for both parents then send copies to both parents. If dad is always doing the pickups maybe mom is only partly aware of how deep your concerns are.

Outgoing
    He left WHILE YOU WERE STILL TALKING??? If that were me, i would have sent the email termination to both parents immediately that night!

In this case, yes, i think e-mail is appropriate. I would include in the e-mail all the issues with the child/children as well as the parents that led to your decision to terminate. You should print a copy for your records, and when sending the e-mail include a 'read notification' so you know that they have opened the e-mail. That way, they can't give you the old 'oh i didn't get your email' speech.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

I might go one step furthur and give them written notice in their hand and say "I know you are always in a hurry to leave when I need to talk to you so here is your written notice." Because you have something in your hand to give to him then it is harder for him to leave. Also try standing blocking the door....I think the email is okay, but you are just helping him to save face when he should really be forced to face this in reality rather than virtually. I'm not sure how he was able to leave part way through talking to him? Did you not raise your voice and say excuse me I am talking to you? When he walked away did you just let him? I for sure would have been like "Excuse me! I was in the middle of talking to you, please come back." I would have said that once I saw him opening the door to leave before he even got his stride going. Good Luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Yikes! I see that this post is a week old...I hope you had some resolution. How disrespectful!!

Outgoing
    BTW What ended up happening after you posted this? Did you term?