Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Taking a vacation

So I have decided to close in April for 2 wks (without pay) for a vacation. I am nervous to tell my dc families as 2 of the families have been with me from the beginning and I told them I would take 2 vacs a yr (x-mas and aug). My other 2 families never asked me about my vacation so they might be surprised but I figure they will get over it. Almost 3 mos notice should be plenty of time no?

My parents have a house in Florida I have not been to since I opened my daycare. I was always worried about closing and inconveniencing the families. It's such a nice/cheap vacation for us, I can't wait! Plus, I just worked the last 2 wks sick so not to inconvenience anyone...so over that.

Euphoric !
    Have fun!!! One of the benefits of us running our own businesses is that we can take days off when we want (within reason of course, we do provide a service and if we're not stable than our business will suffer). I think you are giving them plenty of notice.

I don't commit to telling my dc parents how many vacations I will take a year but I do make sure they know that I take at least 2 weeks a year without pay and that it could be more. Having back up childcare is a must if you want your child to come to my dc. For me, taking vacation will vary year to year depending on my fiance's schedule and our extra money for the year.

Expansive...
    I wouldn't be able to survive on 2 weeks of vacation per year. I take 4 weeks per year (although this includes sick days, and excludes stats of course). Go for it! Florida sounds nice my mom is also going to buy a place there soon, looking forward to visiting them there!

Euphoric !
    to clarify, I take 2 wks in Aug and a week at Christmas, however this yr it worked out to be 2 wks at Christmas with all the stats.

Outgoing
    Please don't feel guilty about your right to take a vacation! We all have to take time off to rest and recharge! Your DCfamilies are supposed to have back up care anyhow right? Don't you have a section about vacations and time off in your contract? (I assuming you have one, that is).

Starting to feel at home...
    I think that's plenty of notice.

In my case, since I'm male, I will need to give parents more reason to use my services. One of the differences I'm going to be doing is having a backup person to take my place in case I get sick, or for when I take time off. Normally, the parents should have a backup, often family or friends, but they can't all do that. I need to go above and beyond normal services if I want a chance to succeed.

Starting to feel at home...
    Btw, hope you have a nice time down there. If you change your mind, I'd love to go to Florida. lol