Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daycare Rates..

Shy

Thumbs up Daycare Rates..

Just saw someone offering childcare for $20/day, the day starting at 8-6..

Oh my goodness!! I couldn't imagine.. I'm having trouble filling my spots at my current asking rate 650/mth. Which what seems to be the going rate around here,

Although some charge as much as 700/mth.

So tired of emails of peolpe asking how much you charge and where are you located, then never responding back.

I'm not sure how someone could make any income off 20/day.

It's just crazy! Lol

Euphoric !
    I totally agree! In my area the rates are between $25-$35. I charge $30. I think more daycare's are charging around $30. The odd time I see someone post an ad charging $20. I can't imagine! I don't imagine they charge that rate for long or continue doing daycare for very long either.

I can't imagine anyone running a structured program with activities, crafts and good quality food at $20 per day. In Ontario you are only allowed 5 dck's. How would any provider afford this at $20 per child? I'm guessing that these providers are the "warehouse" providers with more than 5 dck's that give the rest of us a bad reputation to begin with!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Mummy View Post
    I can't imagine anyone running a structured program with activities, crafts and good quality food at $20 per day. In Ontario you are only allowed 5 dck's. How would any provider afford this at $20 per child? I'm guessing that these providers are the "warehouse" providers with more than 5 dck's that give the rest of us a bad reputation to begin with!
    im guessing they don't provide good quality food or anything else ....probably just tv and supervision ....these are probably moms who are staying home anyway and just offer a low rate to make a few bucks .....they aren't doing anything just babysitting...some parents are ok with that cause that's what they do at home, hot dogs and kraft dinner and tv.

Euphoric !
    even with the costs of hot dogs and kraft dinner these days I am not sure how they manage $20 a day. I buy both on occasion and they are expensive! LOL

Outgoing
    I really hope i don't upset anyone here, because I am a daycare provider too, but i'll comment on the 20$ per day ladies. I found a gem! I paid 20 per day to my son's daycare provider when i went back to work after my Mat leave in 2008, and she was the most fantastic lady. She was worth a million bucks. I really thanked God for her because she took my son at the last minute , only 1 month before i had to go back to work. 2 weeks before my original provider was to start caring for my son, the poor woman had a stroke. I was stressing interviewing providers, doing my homework, until I was introduced to a lady who did daycare from home. She was the best! She was in her 50's and had been doing home daycare for 20 yrs. During the time my son was there, she never had more than 3-4 kids, including her grandson.
    Some didn't provide food, i did, but it didn't bother me- i had to make everyone else's lunch so what's one more?. She taught the kids the alphabet, numbers, taught them Portuguese (which was awesome because i wanted my kids to speak it since my whole family is Portuguese), the occasional craft, outings to the park, etc. but didn't have a pre-school program per se. The kids were always well cared for, clean and loved her! They all cried when it was home time
    i was too busy looking for daycare centres, home daycares, pre schools, programs because i was sure 'my kid would get much better care' but i know i found a real gem in a $20 a day provider!

Now with that being said, i know not all are providers are like that! I know there are some who give the rest of us a bad name, charging really cheap and are way over limits. Those are the ones i would warn parents to stay away from! But you will never know unless you do your homework!
    Last edited by MonkeyPrincess; 01-22-2014 at 12:43 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    They only way I can understand how dcp's are offering such a low rate is because it is just extra money to them. Maybe the spouse makes great money and mom is a SAHM and takes on children to give their own children a playdate so to speak and to give her some satisfaction that she too is contributing to the household income financially.

I don't think that the fee dcp's charge reflects a true sense of their dc program though. There are some who charge high who don't provide the greatest service and there are some who charge lower and are great at managing money and offering a great program.

I hope that no matter what the fee is, there is more than just tv, hot dogs and kraft dinner! However, if that is the way a hdc is run, I at least hope that the dcp is straight up with the parents and the parents know what they are paying for. Like lilywildcat said, parents NEED to do their research and find a dc that best suits them!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    They only way I can understand how dcp's are offering such a low rate is because it is just extra money to them. Maybe the spouse makes great money and mom is a SAHM and takes on children to give their own children a playdate so to speak and to give her some satisfaction that she too is contributing to the household income financially.

I don't think that the fee dcp's charge reflects a true sense of their dc program though. There are some who charge high who don't provide the greatest service and there are some who charge lower and are great at managing money and offering a great program.

I hope that no matter what the fee is, there is more than just tv, hot dogs and kraft dinner! However, if that is the way a hdc is run, I at least hope that the dcp is straight up with the parents and the parents know what they are paying for. Like lilywildcat said, parents NEED to do their research and find a dc that best suits them!
    Excellent reply.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilywildcat View Post
    Excellent reply.
    I agree ......

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes, I guess there is a market for any price. Parents all have different needs, so to each their own.
    I've stopped worring about those who undercut me, as I know that those who truly value my service, will pay for it. I would rather leave a space open, than get a parent who is trying to bargain my rates or policies. If you run a quality program, don't worry about it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post: