Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drop off times

Expansive...

Drop off times

I have 4 daycare kids ages 1-3yrs as well as my own 2 schoolage children which need to be walked to school each morning. The dressing precedure in the winter/loading stroller in the morning can be a 20 minute process sometimes, and I have a strict deadline to leave, so that my own 2 can get to school on time. I had this issue at the end of last year with parents showing up 5 minutes before we were leaving, throwing their kids in the door dressed in sweaters from the car, and leaving saying they were late for work. Needless to say, my kids were late for school several times, as I ran behind getting all of them dressed. I sent out a letter in mid-December outlining what time we were leaving, and telling them it took 20 mins to dress them all, and asked all parents to dropoff a minimum of 20 mins before departure, or if coming later, their children must be fully dressed for the outdoors before they arrive. I also specified that the late dropoffs had caused my kids to be late for school. I was hoping the guilt trip might spur on some changes, however it didn't last. Now they drop off undressed children 1 minute before my 20 minute cutoff deadline and race out the door. Another parent drops off a fully dressed child right as I'm pushing the stroller down the driveway. I know it's petty, but it's disrespectful as they try to slide in under the technicalities of the departure time. Should I redo another letter or do a face to face with all parents?

Expansive...
    I don't do drop offs....but if I were in your shoes I would leave 10 minutes early one day and not be there when they tried to drop off. Bet it wouldn't happen again! That's just me though, I don't tolerate nonsense.

I would do a face to face for sure. Make it very clear that it is unacceptable and you will not take the child if they are not ready to go. You have to then follow through. If you allow them to do it they will continue to do so.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

You have already done a letter which clearly had little impact so if you are wanting change then you also need to change your approach. Face to face for sure and along with reminding them of the rule also bring up that you have sent a letter home previously but still your rule isn't being adhered too. I would also try to have the kids ready 5 minutes earlier than you need and leave the house early. All of those parents coming at the last minute will have a shock when you aren't there. They are likely to complain as to your whereabouts and say you made them late for work and your obvious comeback after giving them a letter and verbal face to face reminders of this policy is that their lateness makes your children late for school and so you have to prioritize them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    You have already done a letter which clearly had little impact so if you are wanting change then you also need to change your approach. Face to face for sure and along with reminding them of the rule also bring up that you have sent a letter home previously but still your rule isn't being adhered too. I would also try to have the kids ready 5 minutes earlier than you need and leave the house early. All of those parents coming at the last minute will have a shock when you aren't there. They are likely to complain as to your whereabouts and say you made them late for work and your obvious comeback after giving them a letter and verbal face to face reminders of this policy is that their lateness makes your children late for school and so you have to prioritize them.
    I agree with this, except I would do an immediate face to face reminder to the parents first, like "I must leave by so and so time in the morning, so if your child isn't here by -insert time - and FULLY dressed then I won't be able to take them with me or wait for you to arrive." Make up a letter saying so and have the parents sign it right there on the spot.

Then follow through on it.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have had similar situations and I tell the parents that if they will be dropping off after a certain time, their child must be fully dressed. Luckily, I have not had anyone go against this...yet.. If I were you, I would leave 5 minutes early (I have no choice on the really bad weather days), since the fact that what you have been telling them is not working.

Outgoing
    I agree with the others. Say something face to face about being late for school now and their children MUST be dressed in proper winter attire when they arrive. I would also be leaving 10 mins earlier from now on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    I agree with this, except I would do an immediate face to face reminder to the parents first, like "I must leave by so and so time in the morning, so if your child isn't here by -insert time - and FULLY dressed then I won't be able to take them with me or wait for you to arrive." Make up a letter saying so and have the parents sign it right there on the spot.

Then follow through on it.
    That's what I said I would do...a face to face