Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sickness

Shy

Sickness

Hello. At what temperature do you send a daycare child home if that is there only symptom?

Thanks

Expansive...
    My policy is 101 and exclusion the next day too- the same that we used when I worked at a centre. However, if a child has low grade fever and is whiny/not participating/lethargic/not eating, then I will send home and exlude the next day as well.

I usually tell a parent if their child has a fever of any kind or throwing up I do not want them at daycare, for fear of the other children getting sick or for that matter myself. Usually if there is a fever present there is something going on. If they just have a cold and runny nose, not much you can do about that as children are pron to those.

Outgoing
    IMO a fever is a sign of infection so if the child is in good spirits, eating/drinking/participating as normal I let them stay because really if they have a fever and are possibly coming down with something at this point they have already infected the daycare,

Euphoric !
    Normally I call home at 38 celcius...but if I know something is going around I will send them home for even 37.6. Fever is a sign of something going on and by the time we know what that "something" is, it's too late. I realize they are usually contagious before the fever starts, but at least we can minimize the exposure.

Expansive...
    I do an armpit reading, so anything above 37.3 C I call for pick up. It doesn't matter if they have any symptoms, they go home no matter what. I don't have the means to take care of sick children, and fevers can turn bad so fast. Okay now, 20 minutes later they are miserable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Anything over 100. But I usually only check for one if child is showing symptoms of being unwell, which lead me to think maybe they have a fever. Having said that, if they just had a fever, I'd still send them home. I exclude for symptoms and that is one of my symptoms. "Fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications"

Expansive...
    Yep and don't let the parents tell you it's teething. I've had it happen too many times where a child has a fever due to " teething" only to infect everyone else with a virus. Good luck to you...I think I may have one coming down with something too today...well see how he is when he wakes up.

Euphoric !
    I also do the armpit reading (don't forget to add a degree!) and send a child home for anything above 38.3 C or 100 F. I also like to take the children's temp when they are "normal" so that I know what their average temp is as some kids are just naturally warmer all the time. I write it down on their info sheet and keep on file.

I agree about the teething!! A few parents will try to blame it on that but I don't allow that excuse anymore. I have read that most doctor's say a high fever is not caused by teething anyways. I used to allow a child who was "teething" to stay and would give medication with parental permission. However, it was a 1-2 month cycle of this and I eventually changed my sick policy. Unless it's a prescribed med, I don't give it. I did make an exception for one child because he had a tendency to have seizures if his temp got too high so I would give the first dose but then mom or dad picked him up immediately.

When you are sick and have a fever you want to be home in your own bed right? Most of us, when we worked out of the house, would take the day off or leave work early if we had a fever. I think children deserve to be at home when they are sick too.

Euphoric !
    101 here they get the call unless the child wakes up from afternoon nap with a fever over 101 and it wasn't there prior I just let the parent know via text what to expect and then they are excluded the next day