Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Question Daycare and pets

As some of you already know, I plan to open a daycare in a few months. I am currently doing final planning and preparation. One thing I'm thinking about is pets. My parents have had dogs and cats their entire life. Myself, I've had 2 cats and 2 dogs. Right now I have no pets, but I'm thinking about getting one, mostly because I know kids love pets.

For those of you with pets, what do you think? Should I get a dog, a cat, or something different like a rabbit or a gerbil? I've had both of them before too and the rabbit loved sitting on anyone's lap and just being pet. Or should I stick to a pet free zone?

Euphoric !
    I personally think you should wait. Not only are you in the midst of finding a place and clients, why add this to your list? I think it is important for the animal that you are able to commit to them. It sounds like things will be all over for the next while. If you get a dog say, you need to train this animal etc all while setting up your daycare. Also, you will again limit yourself in rental properties to people who will rent to someone that a) wants a daycare and b) has pets. Lastly, my dad is a vet so we had millions of animals (people would leave them on our doorstep all the time) and you need to have ample time to see if the animal is good with children because believe me, not all rabbits are nice etc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

I think if you don't have pets now then keep it pet free. Generally those with dogs and cats won't have a problem with pets but there are kids out there with allergies or parents who are warie from their own bad experiences. Allergies can also be to saliva, I've had 2 dck's with that type of allergy in which case getting a hypoallergenic dog won't help, also my husband is allergic to dogs even to those who claim that they are hypoallergenic breeds.

If you do get a caged pet such as a rabbit or gerbil, I definitely wouldn't let the kids hold them as they are notorious for nipping at you and it hurts enough for an adult let alone a little one. I used to have guinea pigs and I would get them out for the kids but I held them at all times to prevent nipping or if I had a huge cardboard box saved then I would set up a kind of run so the kids could get up close and interact with them that way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm pretty much leaning in the direction of just staying pet free for now. Mainly curious how much difference, if any, having pets makes.

My kids are constantly asking for a dog. We had dogs until we moved to Canada and my husband grew up with them. It was when we moved here that he realized he was allergic. We would take the kids into the pet store to see the dogs and he would immediately have a flare up which just further confirmed this. He still wants dogs and says that he would rather the irritation than no dog, but I am the one who just thinks that it will be a reason for some parents not to go with me and I don't want to give them a reason. Likely in a year or two when I am no longer doing daycare, I will surprise everyone one day with a new pup. Until then, you know what want got?! lol

Expansive...
    I love animals, but I am pet free and have no plans to get them any time soon - just one more thing to worry about and take care of. It also means one less limitation in your appeal to potential clients.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    If I was in your position I would remain pet free. I think it is generally what parents prefer. I have a dog and have had people tell me after an interview that they just didn't feel comfortable with her so they got care elsewhere ( which is too bad because she is amazing with kids). Most of the time these are people who are not used to pets, the ones who are usually don't have a problem with her.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree...stay pet free! Pet-free is usually a selling point for daycares. Even people who have pets at home are sometimes reluctant to put their child in a daycare with a pet they don't know. While it is true that the kids like pets...it's the [I]parents[I] who are choosing the daycare and paying for it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would stay away from a pet, at least until you have a home you own. Not sure about where you live but here, pet friendly rentals are few and far between!

I am NOT a pet person. I have enough to clean with 4 dck's, I don't want to add kitty litter, fur removal, carpet cleaning(more often than I already do), dog walking etc to my list lol. I also would not want the risk of an animal and child incident as I would feel extremely guilty if something terrible happened like a bite! Even the most calm animals can be provoked.

I have been considering getting a goldfish....does that count?? haha

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm also thinking about getting a fish. But then I think about cleaning the tank, and I change my mind. All of my daycare families have two dogs each, so I already clean dog hair all the time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post: