Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pick up times

Pick up times

I have been having issues with parents picking up their children late everyday. I have 6 children in my home day care, including my two yr old, and an 11 year old son. My hours are 7:30am-5:30pm. One family has dad picking up late when mom is on afternoon shift and happens about 3-4 times a month. He will show up at 5:30, and is out the door by 5:40. But I have one particular family who drops their son off at 7:30, and his dad usually doesn't pull into my driveway at the end of the day until 5:35-5:45, and is not exactly fast at getting his child out the door, who usually puts up a fight and runs away while his dad stands there and does nothing! I end up chasing the child around the house getting him back to the door. Most of the time he will run right by his dad and dad does nothing to stop him! This has been going on for the last 3 months. I have things to do after work. My son is in hockey and we usually have to be out the door by 6pm. That doesn't give me a lot of time to feed my own children and get them ready to go. This past week I have been sternly getting the child to the door and telling him it is time to leave.which usually makes him scream at the top of his lungs, beg for water or a cookie. Not exactly what I would like to listen to at the end of a long day! If I sent out a letter stating that I am CLOSED at 5:30 and children need to be out the door by then, is that rude? I have a contract stating that late fees will be charged if a child is picked up late. Should a $10 late fee start at 5:30 and increase every 30 min? One center I worked at, the late fee started at 5:25 bc daycare closed at 5:30. That prevented parents strolling in at 5:25 taking their sweet time! I don't want to cause any hard feelings bc I really like the parents a lot and they have helped out when I have needed to be away for a dr appoint here and there, but they don't seem to get I have a life and a family, and things to do! besides that, its a long day with him from start to past close!

I think writing a letter is perfectly acceptable and not rude at all. I would also start having the kids ready prior to parents arrival. You know what time they come to collect so have them all suited up and shoes on ready to leave. Sit them in a row and do story time or sing songs if that helps keep them focused on you and not goofing off.

In your letter make it clear that they signed a contract with late policies and fees in it and although you haven't been enforcing that, that from Monday this will be applied on every occasion and then make sure you follow through. You say this has been going on for 3 months, well after the first time of no consequences for their lateness, you are in effect giving them permission to do it again, as really what incentive have they got to stick to the rules when you don't do anything about it and apply them. They are pulling a fast one on you because you are letting them. I would verbally announce what your letter says so they have to acknowledge the message and then the written letter as back up confirmation.

Euphoric !
    Yes, write up a letter and remind them of the late fee and state that it will be need to pay THAT DAY! Explain that them being late, puts you and your family behind schedule and that can not happen. I charge $10 for the first 15 mins and then a full days pay, $30, for anything after that. I also added that consistent late pick ups may result in termination of care.

I also would get any child that is still there at 525 ready to go home. They can start getting their jacket and mitts on and then the parent just needs to slip on their boots and away they can go! Keep the talking to a minimum and say "well have a good night. I have to get supper ready so we can be out the door ourselves!" and walk away. I would even have your 11 year old take your 2 year old to their room or living room if that is a reason for them staying longer than needed. (I'm thinking like if their child stays and plays with yours)

Good luck!!

Euphoric !
    Do you have a gate at your entrance way? I would have the kid totally ready by 525 and when the parent walks I say oh here's dad now well have I nice night see ya tomorrow ....and hold the door so he parent leaves....but yes send out a letter or post it on your door saying everyone must arrive by 525 as you close at 530. Late fees will apply .... It's not rude at all ... What's rude is showing up after closing time to pick up your kid

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I had have a fairly new client that started to be consistently late in their second week here (up to one hour). I kindly mentioned that the next occurrence I would need to enforce my late pick-up fee, and I had a copy of the contract at that time. Since then they have been late twice, but called in advance and did not hesitate to pay the late fee. I think part of it is putting our clients in line at the beginning. It really isn't my nature to confront people- I HATE it, but I "bucked up" and was glad I did. It is never easy (IMO) to lay down the law with other adults.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FunnyFarm For This Useful Post: