Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Listing well before opening

I am almost done my policy handbook and contract, and have a place space partially set up ready and would like to begin advertising by mid-February. And open in July/august.

However I still have to paint other playroom, safety check the house (in the process as my daughter is 6 months, and am putting In a mud room, and deck. Everything will be done well before opening.

My questions:
    1. Has anyone else advertised without being 100% ready? If so, what do to u tell families?
    2. Financial questions: I am going to request a security deposit of $500 (my normal security deposit fee) to hold their spot. Sound fair? I have a holding fee policy for mat leave/extended vacation but will not ask for that now because I am still on EI until July and cannot receive wages.

Any other advice on advertising early and opening later would be much much appreciated.

Thank

Euphoric !
    That is a lot of money upfront for a family to hold the spot when it isn't even available. I only charge to hold if the spot is open now but they don't want it yet as in they want me to hold it.

I would have the safety done, the playroom painted and at least a few toys around before interviewing. The deck, mudroom, etc are all things we add or change as numbers and needs change.

Thank you for your response.

I should clarify, the painting is not necessary just a bonus, as it is in great condition as is. And I have lots of toys and a set-up that would work just fine. Its just aesthetics at this point. I am a teacher and could work on the playroom forever if given the chance!

Id like to start interviewing now, as many people in my area have already begun to fill spots as far in advance as September. So what would you recommend as a holding spot/fee. And if 'cross my fingers' I happen to get more requests then spots available would you wait list, and how would that work with deposits ect.

As well, I know $500.00 is a lot but it's half of my monthly fee, the going rate in my community. Is that too much of a deposit?

Euphoric !
    I don't think $500 is too much for a deposit. Many caregivers ask for 2 weeks fees as a deposit and it is held for the last two weeks of care. If you are basically set up, I think you can start interviewing adn then expplain to parents the additional things you plan to do.

Thanks sunnydays for the confirmation that $500.00 is ok. I feel its fair as well.

Expansive...
    Many providers charge a holding fee to keep a spot reserved. This is not the same as a deposit. A holding fee is non refundable. So, as playfelt said, charging a holding fee for a spot that is not yet available is excessive. However, a $500 deposit which is applied to the clients fees when they actually start is perfectly reasonable.

I require a 2 week deposit which covers their last 2 weeks of care.

Expansive...
    My fee to secure a spot is eqivalent to two weeks of care. I don't think it is too early to advertise the spots, though I would make sure everything is safe and clean - which I have found to be some of the biggest concerns for parents. I was advertising and interviewing before my home was totally set up and it wasn't a concern, I just explained my plans as I did the tours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    1. Has anyone else advertised without being 100% ready? If so, what do to u tell families?
    I've started minor advertising and won't be open until late May or early June. I don't even have a place yet, so my advertising is mostly to get my business heard of so when the real ads begin it might be easier to find clients.

You have the place and it's almost ready. I see no problem with advertising now. Smart parents do look at least a month or 2 before needed.

Mike, How did you go about advertising. Did you have a policy book or anything?

I'm currently working on my legal documents and handbooks. I cheated and bought templates, but doing some changes to suit my plans. Right now I just have a free ad on Kijiji. Next week I'm going to pay to have it be a top ad, then the week after put an ad in the local newspaper. Plans are to find parents who are interested for now, let them meet me and see how I interact with their child, then if they are interested, reserve a spot, but no deposit until I get a place, in case it's not close enough to them.

I'm hoping to get a place for May 1, then do serious advertising and try to have at least one or two for June when I finish preparations.