Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I'm in Halton area in Ontario, and many in my neighbourhood place a higher premium on children under 2 yrs, as the lowest licensed centre rates are about $60+ a day for infants, and $50-$55 for toddlers around here.
    and I have always stuck to the "2 under 2 yrs" rule even though I didn't need to. I have found a definite difference in the hyper-vigilance you need when supervising the under 2 years crowd, so I do charge more.
    The best guide is to search daycare bear with your postal code and average out the rate.
    That's what's making it so much fun deciding on a final price. I searched daycare bear and local yellow pages and kijiji ads and found most of the daycares with websites had prices based on ages. With daycare centers, it's obviously because of the limits. In business, that's supply and demand. I also plan on sticking with the daycare rules, or at least keeping close to them, in case I do decide later to go registered, or we are forced to. If I make prices the same for all ages, it would have an effect on what age ranges I would get.

I am going to simplify my pricing, but not overdo it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Mike, if you put in your postal code and search here on Daycare Bear for your area, that will give you a good idea of what others in your area are charging and whether they have different rates based on age. Where I am, I haven't seen anyone do that (except for centres) BUT this could change if the new bill goes through in parliament and we are only allowed 2 kids under the age of 2. Then I believe the majority of home daycares will put their rates up for the under 2 spaces as we will have a harder time filling our daycares and there will be competition among parents for those spots.
    Good timing. My last reply pretty much covers that.

If anyone is curious how complicated my pricing is now, check the page on my site, (on my profile), but it won't be there long. I'm going to change it later today.

Euphoric !
    I read your homepage .... Wow !!!! You made the statement that "women often do child care because its all they know how to do or it's their only option". " some don't even like looking after kids and often do a poor job of raising their own children" .....
    I think where your home page is concerned less is more !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Again, sorry, from personal knowledge, I know several that fit those descriptions, but I guess I only know those people, not the ones who count. I'm going to do some rewording there.

Euphoric !
    Ummm, yes maybe some re-wording is needed! I do childcare because I actually enjoy it and have always wanted to own my own business. This is not my only option but the option that best worked for me.

When trying to raise yourself up don't knock down others I'm sure you didn't mean to offend with that statement but trust me, you will offend many unintentionally!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Yes. Since I have no real daycare experience or contacts, and only know 3 people who do "daycare", I was assuming they were the norm. They don't actually do daycare. They just let others drop off their kids and charge for it.

I'm going to quit now for a while and do some changes on my site.

Euphoric !
    Just another thing that I thought about when reading your site. Will you accept children who are not in disposable diapers? When I was reading it, I sorta got the feeling that you look down on disposable and I think if I were a parent reading it, I would feel judged if I had a child in disposables. Just a thought...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

I will have to take a look at that and reword it. I have nothing against disposables, just believe that overall cloth is usually better.