Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Morning nap question

I start children around 10 months old (usually). They are still having morning naps. The Moms say they nap around an hr. or hr. and half and they usually go down around 9. My problem is this time always interferes with the time they are supposed to go down for afternoon. I like everyone on the same schedule so want the babies to go down at the same time. I put them down for a twenty minute power nap and then wake them up, and they happily go until 12:00 or 12:30. I always feel like the Moms don't agree with this but they never never say anything. It's jus the feeling I get. They also let then sleep at home in the morning as long as they want and don't care what time their aft. nap is. Does anyone else wake them aft. a power nap??

Euphoric !
    Yes, I did. I used to do morning naps and would normally do 9-930 and than the afternoon nap of 1-3. If they were tired or cranky than I did an earlier morning nap.

I find a lot of parents that do morning naps and afternoon naps, don't put them down for the afternoon until 2 or 3. None of the mom's I had minded that I changed their routine and said they would do the same on weekends to keep them in routine. Oh how I miss that group of moms LOL

Euphoric !
    I had the same issue with the most recent one I started ... She napped from 930-1030 in the am and them from 2- whenever in the aft ... I told the parents to start moving the naps earlier by 15 mins a week as I wanted the child to go down from 8-845 so that she would be ready for aft nap at 1230 but they never did so when the child started I put her to bed at 8 and usually she only feel asleep at 830 then I woke her up at 845 ... I only did that due about a week then I said forget it and I just stopped napping in the am and persevered through the crying and now a month later and the child just goes to bed at 1230. So to the original poster , I would say put the kid to bed as soon as you can in the am and just let sleep for 30 mins just so they can make it through the morning and still be ready to nap in the aft with the rest of the kids. I also would just say to the parent ... Oh Sally had a good morning and afternoon nap blah blah blah
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 01-25-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Crayola kiddies, I am confused, does she sleep in the AM? Or was that just for the transition period? If she's not, I'd hope you'd be telling them the truth your comment sounded as though you were not telling then what was actually happening.
    Last edited by Jenny; 01-25-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Euphoric !
    No she no longer sleeps in the am and I never told the mom that she slept if she didn't ..I was very upfront about the naps because I had asked them to start moving the naps to match mine and they didn't ... What I was implying was that the original poster said the mom didn't like her waking the child after only 20 mins .... So she didn't have to say that she woke her after 20 mins ... Just say yes the child slept both morning and aft .... Generally the parent doesn't ask how long but in the event that they did I would say oh I woke her after 20mins so that she would still be ready to go down with the rest of the kids after lunch

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Crayola kiddies, I am confused, does she sleep in the AM? Or was that just for the transition period? If she's not, I'd hope you'd be telling them the truth your comment sounded as though you were not telling then what was actually happening.
    I edited my original post to make it clear which was my experience and what was my advise to the op

I do the same as crayola when kids do not sleep early in the morning. After a few weeks everybody is sleeping at noon at the same time in the same room.

That makes sense, and yes I agree with you.

Thank you for your input. I'm glad to hear others do the same. As for just saying she slept morn. and aft., I have to tell you Mom is a teacher and has to know everything. Anytime I am vague she asks me specifics lol. Her oldest is 4 in April and she still tells me what time her last pee was, OMG All in all though she is a keeper. Her kids are wonderful and she absolutely never pays late. She's been with me for 3 years.