Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My boyfriend used to work in a playcentre/ preschool kindergarten in Hong Kong. Every country is different but he loved what he did and is amazing with children mine ,and my friend who home schools her children and asked when he could come back to entertain her kids.

What I suggest and what made me comfortable with him with my own children is reference letters. You have friends and families and I'm assuming you have watched other people children and been responsible in there development somehow.

Maybe they can write reference letters. Also a suggestion find some play group drop in centers maybe you can volunteer at, my current daycare my children attended to they have different people in at times gaining experience who are completing the e.c.e

I'd contact some providers grated you will need to provide a police clearance as I will be working in some daycares to gain experience before I open mine as well.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem but as someone who has been abused the red flags would click in for me.

If I was going to use you as a provider I would expect the following but this is just me.

Police clearance

Maybe something from child services saying your a fit person ( overprotective mom )

C.p.r for children

First aid

And something that give some formal training on daycare

Reference letters from parent of children's you have cared for or from a placement to gain exp.

I hope I have not offended you in anyway as being a male daycare provider. I have red flags as being abused as a child I wouldn't want to have my children go through that. That being said not every un related male would do that.

Just my words

Good luck

Chiyo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiyo For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I made a similar comment on the other thread titled "pricing" I read your home page and I'm not too sure what to think ..... You made some statements such as "women do childcare because that's all they know how to do or thats their only option" You also made another comment to the effect of ..some women don't even like looking after kids and often do a poor job of raising their own children...... This was all under the heading if why parents should go with a male provider... You also made the revelation that you are 50 years old and struggle with mental health issues and that children saved your life twice..... While I applaud you for being open and upfront about this because its important I will be honest and tell you I would never leave my children with a 50 yr old single male provider with mental health issues. Actually I probably would never leave my children with a male provider that I didn't know personally for many years.... Sorry
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 01-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiyo View Post
    I hope I have not offended you in anyway
    No way. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    You made some statements such as ...
    Sorry, from personal knowledge, I know several that fit those descriptions, but I guess I only know those people, not the ones who count. I'm going to do some rewording there.

You also made the revelation that you are 50 years old and struggle with mental health issues and that children saved your life twice..... While I applaud you for being open and upfront about this because its important I will be honest and tell you I would never leave my children with a 50 yr old single male provider with mental health issues.
    After being active here, I realised that I am being a bit too upfront on my site.

Actually I probably would never leave my children with a male provider that I didn't know personally for many years.... Sorry
    Good and smart choice. Personally, I don't think I would either if I had children. Sounds dumb, but I am different. People who know me say so.

I think at first and for a long while you may have to stress an "open door" policy. Tell the parents they may drop in at anytime to "see how things are going" . If it is nap time then let them know they are free to come by for a coffee and have a little chat if they like.
    My point is if you show you have nothing to hide and the parents will feel like you are not hiding anything (like bad intentions towards the children)
    This open door policy may prove to be a bit tiresome because we all do need our breaks and quiet time but unfortunately, just as some women have to jump through hoops to get a male dominated job, you may have to jump through some hoops of your own to reassure parents.
    With reassurance of this kind, yes, I would have sent my child to a male provider providing he was the best choice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Open door is my plans. Once they get to know me, they will want their day off anyway. I plan on having to work harder to get my business going. Once I get established, it'll be much easier.