Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Starting to feel at home...

Question Risky question - what do you think about a male opening a home daycare?

I've made my decision and have received quite a few opinions from friends, family, and some yard sales last summer from closing daycare providers. That's one reason I'm relocating. No daycare need where I currently live.

I more or less decided last spring that I wanted to do this. I went to yard sales to buy things I would need. I did make sure they were safe and no recalls. In going to yard sales, 3 of the ones I went to were ladies closing their daycare. 2 of those ladies asked who I'm buying for because I was buying for different ages, and boy and girl items. I told them my plans. One said "good for you" and the other said "That's a great idea. I've actually had parents tell me they wish there were male daycare providers ...", so basically both daycare providers I told saw nothing wrong with the idea.

Friends and family - a mixture.

Family
    My brother, he's an old fashioned person, and he's younger than me. He's probably even against women's lib. He says "you can't do that". I asked why and he said "guys don't do that". My mother and father are 50/50, saying I would be good at it, but they don't think it will work. My sister says no because a man can't be alone with children. I can get in trouble. Reason: A friend of my fathers married a single mom. Shortly after his step-daughter turned 16, he was charged with child molesting. His story was that she got mad when he wouldn't buy her a car for her birthday and threatened him with that. Her story was that she never told earlier because he promised to buy her a car if she kept quiet. Only God and those 2 know the real truth. He was in jail for 14 months when she admitted she lied. I'm guessing she did lie. Now, he has CAS orders to not be alone with any children, even his own. His life is ruined. With CAS here in Ontario, an accusation, proved or not, and you're on their bad records for life.

Friends
    I have some friends that were children when I first became friends with their father. I was a part of their life as children, and am now a part of their children's lives. They all say I'd be great at it, but like family, they're half and half about doing it. Some say go for it, and others say it's risky.

So, aside from the risk, what do you daycare providers, and parents, think about a male (me) doing home daycare? The risk topic might be a new thread some day.

Male daycare? yes or no?

Euphoric !
    I think male providers can provide great quality childcare. I know from working in centres, the male staff were always loved by the children, both boys and girls. The older boy school age children especially loved the male staff.

I don't personally know any hdcp's who are male but I did watch a Canadian show (some house show, maybe love it or list it?) and there was a family on the show where the father was a hdcp. It was in Toronto I believe. He had a house full of kids

I do think you might run into some families who will not be comfortable with a male hdcp. It is sad but yes, this job is usually looked at as a "woman's job". My fiance works evenings and will often look after the children if I need to run to the doctors or to the store. I have had some parents who want to get to know him more and see how their child will react to him before they feel comfortable leaving their child with him. There was one time I had to do some morning bloodwork and one parent had just started 2 weeks before. She just kept her child home until I got back home. Soon both her and her daughter came to love my fiance just as much as they did me and she was totally fine with him watching the kids. I actually find the kids look forward to when he gets to "babysit" lol.

Just as not every parent finds me acceptable to be their child's hdcp, you will find the same. However, I am sure you will find parents who trust you and when that happens, word of mouth will be your biggest advertising!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'll be honest. I found a great daycare that I liked but didn't go with them because it was run by a husband/wife team and the male provider made me uncomfortable. I think it was mostly this guy that made me nervous but also I was a first time parent, I have daughter and he also kissed her on the first visit (without asking her and she didn't initiate). I just didn't want to have to wonder/worry. I think if she had been older I wouldn't have worried as much but only because she could tell me if something happened. I also have worked with children who were sexually abused so this is more likely on my radar

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Getting started will be the tricky part. Once I get the first one, references will help grow, so that brings up another question. Should I offer a good discount for the first child in exchange for being a reference once they "try me out"?

the male provider made me uncomfortable. I think it was mostly this guy that made me nervous
    That could be a good thing. No parent should leave their child with someone they feel uncomfortable around or nervous about, man or woman. Feelings can have good reason.

he also kissed her on the first visit
    That right there says don't leave her there. Neither man nor woman should kiss a strangers child after a first meeting. I've had a few dozen different children in my life, but only 11 that I have ever kissed, and that was never until I knew that they knew I loved them, and it was also never on the lips either, or if I felt they didn't want a kiss. Same with hugs.

Sexual abuse is a topic all of its own, and something I plan to teach. My website and parents handbook say that I will be teaching about that topic, age appropriately, unless they say no. That's a serious topic to me.

I think you'll attract the clients, obviously, who are comfortable with it. It wouldn't be a big deal, for me, but I do think there will be some for whom it would be. But those parents are obviously not even in your potential client pool.

I think all providers attract parents with the obvious things: set up, program, hours, rates, etc but in a home daycare setting I think it is the personality of the provider that seal the deal. Can they connect with you? Do you have similar philosophies wrt children's needs, discipline, etc? If they feel comfortable with you, they feel comfortable. Whether you are male or female, young or old, kwim?

Good luck! Are you open now or just getting set up? What ages are you providing care for?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post:

Planning to open late May or early June. I know care needs go up for the summer due to school age children being off, so want to be ready for then. The higher the demand, the better the chance of getting clients.

Age will depend on the need, but I'm thinking about trying to have a range so it is more family like and to be prepared in case I decide later, or we're forced, to go registered.

I don't think it will be too hard to get clients. As long as some parents are willing to at least consider me and set up a meeting, the rest will be easy.

Euphoric !
    I have to admit that I would probably be hesitant to leave my kids with an unknown man...but I recognize that this is a really biased point of view and I feel bad having it! I guess it's because you rarely hear about a female pedophile...they are normally men...so it creates fear in parents' minds. I know men can be equally great daycare providers...I would have no hesitations with whether a man can do a good job...it would simply be this fear factor. I think it will be very important for you to have a current police check as well as lots of references from people who know you and have children who have been around you. Once you get going, you will have parent references, but for now you will need to use friends or anyone you have babysat for, etc. I think it will also be important for you to to prospective parents about why you want to run a home daycare. It will be on their minds, but they may be too shy to ask...so if you can break the ice by getting that out of the way, it will likely ease their minds a lot. It definitely might be harder for you to start out...but then there may be families who are thrilled about having a male provider and choose you because you are a man not in spite of. Also, it may be harder if you don't have a family of your own (I am assuming you don't from what you have said). Many of us get into home daycare because we want to be home with our own kids. If you don't have this motivation, parents might wonder what your motivation is. Be prepared to explain! Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

That's all planned for. I went to the OPP Friday about getting a CPIC and because it's for daycare, it's a vulnerable sector check needed. I got the paper and will be bringing it in Monday. They said for a VSC I need a letter from the employer. I told them that would be me and they said just write a letter yourself then explaining why you need the check.

I'm taking the CPR Level C course next month.

I have why I'm doing daycare on my website and will also be telling any prospective parents.

My parents and 3 or 4 friends and relatives all said they would be references. I'm going to have them write a letter of reference to give those interested, then they can call if they have questions. My brother and sister won't because like I said in the OP they both say don't do it.

I don't have children, which is part of the reason for doing this. Women are lucky there. If they can't find a husband, they can still have kids pretty easily. Men can't do that. I'll add a bit about myself to my intro post, or you can read it on my website.

I hate to saythis but I wouldn't leave my kids with a male provider....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

Very understandable. I expect a few with that opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. Nobody needs to be afraid to give negative posts. That's why I titled it "Risky question...".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post: