Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Setting a nap time routine - new daycare

Hello everyone ! I'm new to the board and a new CCP. I have filled up all my 5 spots, first dcg is starting in a couple of weeks and I have 2 more starting each week after that.

I'd like some advice on how to manage and get a good nap time routine. Best practices, advice, does and don't, any advice would be a great help. What to do to make sure they don't all play in their crib, what to do if one cries. I want a good routine and tricks that will make this as smooth as possible.

I know everything will fall into place but I'd like the advice from experienced CCP.

Thank you !

Euphoric !
    Hello!! Congrats on your new adventure! Hope it is everything you want it to be

When I first started, I had an 8 month old, 10 month old and 2 two year olds. The 8 and 10 month olds were difficult nappers for about a month or two?(which is totally understandable at that age, especially with a new dcp) I had planned on having all of them nap in the same room, 2 in playpens and 2 on mats. That didn't work!! The 2 babies cried and kept the 2 year olds up. I ended up putting 3 in one room and the other in a playpen in a separate area. This helped and then I eventually moved him back into the nap room and it went well.

I would do lunch, clean them up, let them free play while I cleaned the kitchen and gave them time to poop lol. Than I did a quick circle (usually read a book or two) and changed diapers and put everybody down. The babies would cry but I left them alone and waited to see if they would cry it out. I am a big believer of CIO but I won't let a child cry for hours, especially when it is disrupting others and keeping them from napping. Depending on the severity of the crying would determine how long I let them CIO before I would go in and give a quick comfort but not say anything other than "good night". The 10 month old was famous for crying until he threw up and so I didn't want him to get to that point every day! I would say it took a month for him and about 2 months for the 8 month old before I moved him back into the room. They were my best nappers after that!!! I think they needed to create that bond with me and after that they felt safe and comfortable and napping became much easier!

Listening to a crying child is one of the hardest things to "get used too". Listening to them cry was not an enjoyable nap time for the children and it certainly didn't feel like I was getting a break!! You will find what works best for you and how you want to deal with the crying. I prefer to make a child feel comforted but also not go in every ten minutes. It's what works best for me and my daycare children so far. Things like low, soft, relaxing music is another thing I will sometimes do if I find a child is having a difficult time napping. I also believe that a child needs to learn to sleep during noise(especially a dc child!) so while I am quieter during naptime, I don't not make noise! I do dishes, sweep, watch tv, walk around upstairs etc. I do make my fiance be a bit quieter though as when he walks, it sounds like he is going to crash through the ceiling LOL. I do have a note on my door asking that people don't ring the doorbell during naptime though. If parents need to pick up during naptime they know to text me to let me know they are coming.

I started off with a normal baby monitor but now use a video monitor and much prefer it. For the first year and a bit I stayed downstairs all day but now I come upstairs so I find the video works better. I also ask that parents send a blankie from home and a stuffie if their child sleeps with one. This makes it more like home for the child and they recognize something. I allow soothers for naptime as well. Make sure to ask the parents how naptime at home works. If they rock the child to sleep you may want to ask that they start to stop that at home and have the child start self soothing and be able to get to sleep without things like that. In group settings, we just don't have the time for that. Unless you want too...than by all means do so!

**knock on wood, I have had pretty good nappers so far! I had one child cry all day, everyday for 2 weeks but than just like that it stopped! He is now my easiest child in this current group! I really think napping is dependent on the bond they have with you (not the whole reason for good or bad nappers but a big part) The more comfortable they are at dc and with you, the easier they will sleep. I know I am like that....I sleep terribly at new places and places I don't feel secure!! lol (I've probably jinxed myself now and will get terrible nappers from here on out!)
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 01-23-2014 at 08:34 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Welcome to the board. I'm pretty new here myself. Glad you got off to a good start and I hope I'm as lucky as you when I launch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree a lot with what 5 monkey's said. I let them cry it out. I go back in after about 20-30 minutes and lay the child back down, say goodnight in my happy voice and leave again.

I also started with everyone in the same room. That didn't go over well. I now put the more difficult napper(s) in a separate room.

I am firm with the children. There is no playing allowed, they must be quiet while going to sleep or if they wake early and they must remain in their bed. If the little ones start to cry within the last half hour I will go take them out of the room and put them on the couch with some books. I certainly don't want them waking the whole room! They also learn quickly that they must stay put and be quiet.

Euphoric !
    All the kids nap together. They CIO and learn they need to sleep/be quiet until 3 pm. On occasion when I first started I used to get them up early if they woke (but never more then 15 mins) but quickly learned that this became their new waking time. So I leave them till 3 and they are usually pretty quiet until 3.

The kids on cots can have books to read during nap time. With the exception of a new 3 yo (who reads/twiddles her thumbs in her cot for the 2.5 hrs), they all sleep.

Euphoric !
    I have all my kids sleeping in separate rooms in pack and plays and one (the oldest) sleeps in the playroom on a nap mat .... I put them in say good night and shut the door. I never go back in till nap time is over and I have fans running to drown out any noise. Every here sleeps for the entire time except my newest one (14 months) and he no longer cries when he wakes up but just babbles to himself.

I have all my children in booster seats at the table. We listen to calming music during lunch. As each child finishes lunch I whisk them away to their pack and play, each in a separate darkened room with white noise, give a snuggle and lay them down. They all have learned that this is the routine and go to sleep right away. They all stay in bed for at least 1 1/2 hours. My own son I allow up whenever he wakes. I usually wake the other children after 2 1/2 hrs so we can get on with our days. I do allow them children that I wake up to watch age appropriate tv for 15 minutes or so so they can wake themselves up.
    I check all diapers before lunch and rarely does anyone poop after lunch. For some reason it's usually after morning snack. Lol.

Also I do let them cry it out when they start with me, it has always worked in a few days even with the kids who have the worst sleep habits. After that if they do cry (rarely) usually something is not right so I do go in to check on them.

Expansive...
    Hi and welcome !!! I am sure you will find as I do it's nice to chat with people who really understand !!! My advice and practise is to have each child under 3 in a playpen , I put them in a darkened room ( right now everyone has their own space ) and I give a cuddle and lay them down and walk out . I do believe in CIO , but I will check every 20 min to lay them back down if they are standing up crying . I do not speak , just lay them down and leave the room .
    The first day is a test , lol I just make sure I have the new child farthest away or start them to nap approx 1/2 hr before the rest to see how it goes .
    I have an 18 month old dck and the first day she climbed out screaming and it took us almost 35 min of me putting her back in without speaking before she slept !! Now she will cry but doesn't bother getting up !!
    I like the fans and white noise idea !!! I would def try that if I had one who wouldn't settle !! The information learnt here is awesome !!! I am mom to 5 and I have really benefitted from the advice I have been given here myself !!!!!!

Thank you so much. This was a great help. I'm sure I'll figure it out but every pointer helps from others with experience. I'm so happy I joined this board. If you have any other advice let me know. Thanks again.