Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

How did you tell your parents you were expecting? when did you tell?

I'm expecting my 4th in August. This being my 4th, at 3 months along it is starting to become obvious and I'm thinking I should tell my parents soon. I'm licensed with an agency and talked it through with my boss. She was very encouraging and told me to take off as much time as I need, my parents might choose to stay or not, but if not they can find me new clients (and right now I only have one anyhow, I have been turning down interviews and such since we started TTC). Anyways, my plan is to take 2 weeks off before the baby is due (as my last two labours were less than 3 hours and I feel 'watching your daycare provider give birth' might be a little too extreme when it comes to educational experiences ) and then 5 weeks after as I'm kind of a mess for about 5 weeks after having a baby and won't have additional help from my husband. However if my parents do decide to move to another provider I'd like to take 2 months off before because it would be nice to have the extra relaxing time if they are going to move on anyways.

I'm wondering how to tell my parents all this. a note? in person at pickup? And if there's any way to gently ask them about their plans after they've had time to consider it. I will miss my little DCG (2) dearly if they move on, but I understand completely that 7 weeks is a long time and if she's in the routine of a different place it would be silly to expect them to make another transition all over again. I'd just like to know ahead of time if that's the case, or if they would prefer to go into back up care and then return.

any input is appreciated!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Firstly, congrats!!!
    I actually found out that I was preggers with my 3rd a couple of weeks after opening the daycare. So I waited until about 10 weeks or so and then I would start bringing it up in causal conversation during pickups. Eventually when I had addressed it to with most of my parents, I included a little section in my monthly newsletter with my overall plan and how I would keep them all updated as soon as I knew of appointments and such.

I actually ended up taking in 2 new part time families with them knowing that I was pregnant and what my plans are.

However, I plan on taking very little time off. I will be taking 2 weeks off after my scheduled C-section date. During that time, parents have agreed to find alternate care or split time off between both parents.

I hope that helps!

Expansive...
    Congratulations!!!

What I did was email parents on Saturday. I wrote that I was sending an email so they could have the weekend to think of any questions or concerns that they may have and then we could talk in person on Monday. I outlined my plan in the email. Everybody was fine with that!

Outgoing
    Congrats!
    I am in pretty much the same circumstance as you. I am pregnant with # 5 so I was showing pretty much immediately LOL. I ended up typing up a letter for my dcps after my 12 week ultrasound and said how I was expecting and would continue to be providing care during and after the baby. I am taking off 2 weeks as well when baby arrives. I gave them my due date, and told them that my husband (who they all know and like) will be taking parental leave to be on baby duty while I continue to run the daycare and be the primary caregiver. I also told them that their back up and emergency people need to be in place as it is quite possible I need to go the hospital during business hours. Mentioned about my Doctors appointments that I would be going during naptime (12-3) while my mom or mother in law held down the fort for the hour or so that I am gone. All my dcps have met both of them as well.
    Initially I had 2 families tell me that they don't have any back up care in place and would be leaving and now in the past couple of weeks both have said that they have found people for the 2 weeks that I am off
    I am also getting a TON of inquiries for March/April starts :-(

Well I told mom in person and it went really well. She was very happy for us and said they'll definitely stick it out even if I take a couple of months off. I know all that could change when faced with the prospect of 7 weeks of backup care, but it all seems good for now, so hooray! Now I can dig out my cute maternity clothes and stop wearing enormous sweaters