Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Croup

Starting to feel at home...

Croup

I took your advice, and I told mom that dcg needs to be checked, as I was concerned about her breathing. I just got a text from mom, saying dcg has CROUP!! She tried to down play this by further saying, meds will make her feel better by tonight. Um No!! She's not happy with me telling her that she can't come tomorrow. Now I know Croup is highly contagious, but for how long? I'm not sure how long to exclude her, they did try and send her this,morning, but I flat out refused.
    I will be cleaning like crazy tonight, as I have my 2 girls that have ' cold induced' asthma which they end up on steroid puffers and ventolin to keep us out of CHEO.

You all have great advice and opinions, is 24 hrs long enough for this illness? Ugh I wish they would've listened to me when I first mentioned her wheezing!!

Help

Euphoric !
    Ok well in my contract it states that if a child is prescribed antibiotics then they are excluded for 48 hours after the first dose to allow the meds to kick in. Most if not all antibiotics / penicillin take 48 hours before they start to work. So since croup is highly contagious I would not allow her back till Thursday morning at the very earliest depending on when the first dose was administered .... If it was at noon say then Friday morning she would be welcome back

Children with croup should be considered contagious for three days after the illness begins or until the fever is gone.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/cro...ond-the-basics

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:

Great website! Thanks for sharing.

Outgoing
    I wouldn't let her back for at least two days or more. You have children who get asthma and the last you need is to end up in the ER because they got sick due to a parent who insisted their sick kid come to daycare.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

I am very hesitant about having her, and her sister back tomorrow, as I know she didn't start any meds until last evening, and I'm pretty sure it was a liquid steroid dose.
    It took me basically arguing with them over text, ( since that's the only way to communicate due to their hearing impairment) yesterday to have her seen by a dr. Since they can't hear how bad her breathing was.
    They asked me to take the younger sister today, but i refused, there's another issue, siblings! Chances are I will be in the same position with her.
    Deep down, my gut is telling me this dcg won't be healthy enough to be here, but parents will dose with Tylenol and bring them both.
    Am I wrong for wanting to text them asking them to not return until Friday, or even Monday, giving dcg time to get better, and watch for signs from the sibling?
    Some parents don't understand what it's like spending a night in the ER with a small child that can't breath!

Euphoric !
    My policy book also states that parents of siblings attending the daycare if one stays home due to illness then they must keep the sibling home as well

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
    I am very hesitant about having her, and her sister back tomorrow, as I know she didn't start any meds until last evening, and I'm pretty sure it was a liquid steroid dose.
    It took me basically arguing with them over text, ( since that's the only way to communicate due to their hearing impairment) yesterday to have her seen by a dr. Since they can't hear how bad her breathing was.
    They asked me to take the younger sister today, but i refused, there's another issue, siblings! Chances are I will be in the same position with her.
    Deep down, my gut is telling me this dcg won't be healthy enough to be here, but parents will dose with Tylenol and bring them both.
    Am I wrong for wanting to text them asking them to not return until Friday, or even Monday, giving dcg time to get better, and watch for signs from the sibling?
    Some parents don't understand what it's like spending a night in the ER with a small child that can't breath!
    I encourage you to tell them that and stand up for that. Maybe they don't know, perhaps they have been blessed up with never having had medical emergencies.

Euphoric !
    We had croup come through my daycare. One boy was away for almost 2 weeks. Another was home for 1 day and the weekend and back on Monday. My daughter was away from daycare for 2 days. I would suggest telling them that they can come back Friday but if she still has a bad cough or can't fully participate in a full day of daycare activities you will have to send them home.

Okay, you guys have helped me make my decision, I am going to text them now, and tell them to keep both girls home until Friday! Lol. I needed you to confirm that I'm not over reacting with this. I know they won't be happy with me, but deep down I know it's for the best for all the kids and me!